Technical Worrying advisory on MOT - Worth it?

Currently reading:
Technical Worrying advisory on MOT - Worth it?

mytwocents

Going to view an '02 Sei Sporting tomorrow that looks good value on the surface. Checking MOT history though and it's got the following advisories;

- Oil leak
- Sump corroded
- Offside Rear Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
- Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (2.4.G.1)

The leak, sump and brake pipe are all easy enough jobs but the corroded sub frame worries me. This year's test is the first and only time it's popped up so far, but the MOT's due in March so it's gone 9 months untreated already.

If worst comes to worst and it needs replacing in March how much am I looking at paying?

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forum :)

With a bit of patience, the subframe is quite easy to remove/replace . Depending on your situation, you could either acquire a replacement from a breakers and just replace it outright, or remove it and clean it up to see just how bad the corrosion is. You may be able to get away with just cleaning it up and treating it rather than replacing it. Either way, financial outlay is likely to be minimal it'll just be time consuming.

Very straight forward to replace , you just need to find another good one in a breakers yard ,When i got one they unbolted and gave me the whole lot for 40 quid , brakes suspension ect
Also check the rear chassis rails for rust ,easy to sand down and re paint
Reminds me i need to sort mine out LOL
All the best if you buy it

Thanks for the replies fellas. After viewing I decided to leave it as it is. I'm sure it'll be a very nice little car for someone. The underside is in much better condition than the MOT made me think - however, I wasn't getting the best of vibes from the dealership. They basically said that they buy them in from wherever with no questions asked, stick them on the lot & flog them on a 100% sold as seen basis. For someone that's a little more adept (or ballsy) than myself it wouldn't be an issue, but I'd personally rather pick one up from somewhere that's willing to give me more peace of mind.

Thanks again for the help.

Back