General Overheating for emmission test

Currently reading:
General Overheating for emmission test

bazerino100

Hi All,

Ive had my 2003 Fiat Seicento 1.1 sporting for over 5 years now & its been a great car, last year it failed on a tyre & they also said that it was overheating & they couldnt do the emmisions, i replaced the tyre & could not understand why they where saying that it was overheating, well anyway i bought a new thermastat & flushed the system & filled up with fresh antifreeze, it passed the re-test, i took again to the same place that i have been going too for many years & this time the headlight was out & also the same overheating problem with the emmisions, the car has never overheated since i have had it, it doesn't loose any coolant, the fan comes on & goes off, the heating works fine & when i leave it ticking over for 30 mins it doesn't boil over, the guy at the MOT centre said that the fan was probably not coming or had steam coming out etc, im not a car mechanic but i know when a car is overheating & if it was i would cewrtainly know, i would appreciate it if someone could shine some light on this matter....

Thanks In advance

Baz

They dont let you enter the workshop, but i can get them to show me, if they still say its overheating, just one thing, i have undone the bleed valve that is near the expansion bottle & it flows freely, but i cant get any water out of the other one that is by the bulkhead behind the air filter, ive tried to un- block it but nothing comes out, just a rusty residue, any suggestions on how to un-block it or is this nothing to worry about?

Thanks for the feedback from everyone, i took it for the re-test today & it passed, i told the guy that i had fixed the headlight but couldnt find any over-heating problems with the car, they left my car ticking over for around 20 minutes while connected to the emission testing machine, they also had there foot on the pedal say 3000 rpm for a minute etc, i have never seen this done before, i know they do this with diesel engines, from previous tests i have just seen them stick the sensor up the exhaust while it is ticking over without revving the engine, so im not sure what they was up to.....

Cheers

Baz

Thanks for the feedback from everyone, i took it for the re-test today & it passed, i told the guy that i had fixed the headlight but couldnt find any over-heating problems with the car, they left my car ticking over for around 20 minutes while connected to the emission testing machine, they also had there foot on the pedal say 3000 rpm for a minute etc, i have never seen this done before, i know they do this with diesel engines, from previous tests i have just seen them stick the sensor up the exhaust while it is ticking over without revving the engine, so im not sure what they was up to.....

Cheers

Baz

Emissions test requires a minimum of 2500rpm i think it is for the fast idel test so unsure how you have never seen them rev the engine up before

That's good news Baz - I would highly recommend still investigating the residue you mentioned. It's not worth ignoring as there may be a correlation to this possible overheating. A little bit of time invested now could save you a lot of money and hassle in future.

That's good news Baz - I would highly recommend still investigating the residue you mentioned. It's not worth ignoring as there may be a correlation to this possible overheating. A little bit of time invested now could save you a lot of money and hassle in future.

Yeh i will have another go to get the top bleed screw cleared, but its not overheating & theres plenty of heat coming from the heaters, thanks for your advice....

Cheers

Baz

Last edited:
Back