Technical Crash Sensors

Currently reading:
Technical Crash Sensors

Didn't know about crash sensors until I started to change my seatbelts today. I noticed something bolted behind the seatbelt with a wire going to it. I'm guessing this is a crash sensor.

My car has been hit on the offside, so I guess I'm going to have to renew the crash sensor. Or can you reset them same as the ECU? I've never heard of anyone renewing one before. I didn't actually even know they exist or what they do.

Is there a way of resetting without having to renew. I did a search on eBay and there seems to be a nearside one, but not an offside one and I've never seen anyone sell one before.

I've still got the nearside seatbelt to do so I don't want to put the rear panel and the rear seats back in if I've got to take it all out again.

Help1

I have replaced the pretensioner, this is a little sensor on the inside of the bodywork.

This is the one for sale on eBay? ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1446588367.193033.jpg

This was the sensor I was talking about. This is the drivers side where the bodywork damage is. It seems intact, so I'm hoping it doesn't need replacing.

As you can see, it is situated in the aperture where the seat belt reel sits. (Seat belt reel has been taken out when this picture was taken).

Attachments

• crashsensor-2.jpg
    crashsensor-2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 161
  • crashsensor.jpg
    crashsensor.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 103
I don't think it would need replacing unless there was significant damage in that area that would have triggered it.

Get the rest of the airbag system back together and fire up the laptop clear the airbag ecu codes and see then if there are any issues with the crash sensors. Don't go replacing things unless you have to or it gets very expensive.

I'm not sure there would be any difference from one side to the other, just check the model numbers either on eper or against the two fitted in your car to see if they have the same part number

I don't think it would need replacing unless there was significant damage in that area that would have triggered it.

Get the rest of the airbag system back together and fire up the laptop clear the airbag ecu codes and see then if there are any issues with the crash sensors. Don't go replacing things unless you have to or it gets very expensive.

I'm not sure there would be any difference from one side to the other, just check the model numbers either on eper or against the two fitted in your car to see if they have the same part number

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I just have to get a new plug for the new knee airbag and then it's all done. Try to order one tomorrow. Can't wait to attempt a reset of ECU, fingers crossed they all clear.

Back