Technical Crank sensor?

Currently reading:
Technical Crank sensor?

slimfastjohn

Hi. Been searching the site for about an hour, but struggling to find what I need. My Bravo cut out at traffic lights this morning and won't start. Plugs leads and coils were replaced not too long ago, and there appears to be no spark at all. From what i can see on here, my first port of call should be the crank sensor, but: 1. I don't know where to look.
2. I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
3. Don't know if i can test it or I have to replace it to see if that's the
problem.

Can't rummage under the bonnet atm coz it's 2 miles away.

Any help very much appreciated.:cry:

From your previous posts i guess its a 1.4 12valve

You can see the crank sensor just under the starter motor on the back of the engine block (wire is cut in photo). It is held on by one ribe bolt, there is no adjustment in gaping as long as its fitted properly the gap is fine. The other end goes to a 3pin connector. There is an O ring oil seal around the sensor, watch out for it dropping out or getting stuck in the block. It will probably be easier to access from underneath but the driveshaft might limit space. Good luck.

It's off. Worth mentioning it's held in by one of those god damn torx head screws! grrr... Anyways, heading to scrap yard in a min on a hunt for another as they're about £30 delivered ( and 2-3days) :(
Will let you know how I get on...

It's off. Worth mentioning it's held in by one of those god damn torx head screws! grrr... Anyways, heading to scrap yard in a min on a hunt for another as they're about £30 delivered ( and 2-3days) :(
Will let you know how I get on...

good thread, I wouldn't have recognised that as being the crank sensor..,

lets hope that does the trick,
the retaining screw is a "ribe" - like a torx but subtly different,
Charlie

the retaining screw is a "ribe" - like a torx but subtly different,

Hadn't looked at the screw that close until after you said, but still worth mentioning I used a torx socket to get it off n put a new one on. :)

Anyway, got the new sensor in the post a day later and a few days and about 50 miles later, no relapse yet, although the engine management light is now on almost permanently???? Thanks again for the help. (y)

You need to get the ECU diagnosed by a garage or auto electrician, this will give you any recent fault codes and you can then get the errors cleared. That should identify any faults still existing, or hopefully remove your warning light.

Back