Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Currently reading:
Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Im not sure about us 'killing Americans'

But the numbers are building in such a way that even a 99p store crystal ball could prove accurate .

Levels in my Borough (south wales valleys)
Are similar to English tier3 locations

However we are in a more strict lockdown..

I suspect Westminster have realised if they dont also take stricter action in England Now..then late December will be a disaster

A village community has over 1100 cases by 100,000 scale..

That is far from good

But apparently the Freshers week University levels were also of this magnitude..

Money over Health I fear :(

Stay safe everyone

I believe we’ll be getting it back here in the UK before long the way it’s going, over 500,000 new cases last week (n)
+1 I can see the writting on the Wall.
In France here you didn't need a Crystal Ball or of course you could always bury your Head in the Sand and hope it goes away.
Major Traffic Jams here in France for panic buying just before a second shutdown was announced.
Alan

Last edited:
Looking at this morning's news I have to ask - You got a crystal ball Andy?

I’ve been watching the numbers closely, when France and Germany announced new lock downs I knew it was literally only going to be a matter of days for us.

Honestly people are being so stupid about this whole thing. I think the government might need to make a series of cartoons maybe with music and bright colours so that people might learn to take it seriously. Even my own parents in their late 60s one with severe heart problems don’t seem to get the seriousness of it all.

The R number gives a massively false sense of security, to say the number is only 1.3 - 1.5 when we want it under 1, actually means for the 500,000 new cases last week we will have at least 650,000 new cases off the back of those as each person will infect more than one other person, this is why viruses explode the way they do, and now they are talking of 4000 deaths a day in the middle of winter! Anything above 1 means the numbers double each time. Even a 1 month lock down will be pointless it will at best stifle the new infection rate before every one rushes out to buy crap they don’t need again.

Aye it’s looking bad right enough, but the experts did say the second purge would be bad, and the more savvy of us saw this coming as well, even reading between the lines it was obvious. *Some* just cannot accept what’s going on in front of their nose though. It’s a toss up of sadness and stupidity, what exactly has toto happen to make these non believers waken up and see the nightmare that’s going on.

We are not that bad up in my neck of the woods, but it’s about, I mean you could be forgiven for being too relaxed and go about your business, but I’m shielding our young man who is vulnerable and of course our whole family. Common sense tells us to be careful, it’s as simple as that.

I wish everyone to stay safe.

no because the number dying and who have long covid is also going up so hardly harmless.
Did I say that all the "cases" are harmless? Of course not. But undoubtedly a lot are otherwise the death rate would be massively higher than it is now , and (from what I have read from many sources) the excess death rate is very similar to what you would expect at this time of year.
Covid is well down the list of causes of death. If lockdowns worked then why do the WHO not recommend them? And why do many countries that have had harsher lockdowns than ours still keep having to revert to lockdowns?
You may argue that lockdowns haven't worked because people haven't observed them strictly enough. But how are supposed to live?
What about the young people who will die because the National Covid Service won't see them or have stopped their cancer treatments, or the young people committing suicide?
This is just kicking the can down the road because the virus will keep coming back until it runs out of steam.
Protect the vulnerable of course. No argument with that. But not at the expense of the rest of the country.
And please - not everybody that disagrees with Sage's approach is Donald Trump . There are thousands of eminent scientists . But the Govt are in thrall to the discredited Ferguson and his flawed modelling.

Well I'm pissed off.

I'm fed up of all this "can't see my grand children", I can't "this" or "that".

Get real people (not pointed at anyone here).

Our great, .... parents through 1939 to 1954 were completely restrained in many ways including ration cards. 15 YEARS of hardship and poverty.

This was WAR!

Now we have selfish people complaining they can't do xyz.

Are we not at WAR with something that could kill more people than WWII or are we just concerned I can't go to the pub tonight, or ...........

I really thought that over the many years of government attention (by all parties) to education and understanding would TODAY have percolated through all ages over the years. Sadly still people despite education think selfishly me me me me!

Oh ****!

Well I'm pissed off.

Our great, .... parents through 1939 to 1954 were completely restrained in many ways including ration cards. 15 YEARS of hardship and poverty.

This was WAR!

Are we not at WAR with something that could kill more people than WWII or are we just concerned I can't go to the pub tonight, or ...........

I really thought that over the many years of government attention (by all parties) to education and understanding would TODAY have percolated through all ages over the years. Sadly still people despite education think selfishly me me me me!

Oh ****!
You may not have grasped that one person's "this or that" as you dismiss it is another person's job whether you like it or not.

lockdown from Thursday 5th Nov-2nd Dec if it works, longer if it dosn't.
4 days to panic buy toilet roll and tinned carrots!

lockdown from Thursday 5th Nov-2nd Dec if it works, longer if it dosn't.
4 days to panic buy toilet roll and tinned carrots!

You may not have grasped that one person's "this or that" as you dismiss it is another person's job whether you like it or not.

Oh I really do appreciate that jobs and livelyhoods and income are on the line.

That has nothing to do with how people party, ignore rules/law/guidance and as we have seen "lets go party tonight to excess because tomorrow our wings will be clipped".

Everyone of those who ignore the rules etc. only ultimately destroy the jobs of others. There is no way any government world wide can pay for everyone's jobs. What they have to do is to try to reduce and eliminate anything that can/could/would destroy ALL jobs and try to strike a balance. You may not like thast balance but you do better for all and not just yourself.

Boris & Co. have tried to avoid a national lockdown to try and keep the economy going. Has been criticised for not doing a lock down earlier. Now we are entering a lockdown on Thursday. I just can't wait to see all the videos of those mindless pricks having their last night flings. Just as they have done recently in all the regional restrictions.

As for financial hardship. Many here will have remebered taking mortgages at some 3% to 5% back in the 80s only to see them reach 15%. No governemt support, no sympathy, just tough luck and get on with it.

I fully appreciate that there are many poor and vulnerable people who need support so why do these "must party", "must see my grand children", "must this/that" not actually actually dontate their drink, party, fuel costs etc. to the vulnerable and encourage others to do the same.

Indeed I do remember the mortgage scenario! We were in the thick of it!
And believe me the idea of having a last party before lockdown is utter stupidity.
But we do have to take human nature in to account here. We were told that a short sharp lock down in the Spring would do the trick. And we were trying to push water uphill. So now the public's trust and goodwill has been squandered.
Final word on the subject from me - this year's most over-used word - "could".
Good luck everybody. You're going to need it. Especially if you are very vulnerable (as there is no clear plan to really protect you) or if you are a young person trying to get a job or keep a job. Because you have a lifetime of government debt on your shoulders already.

Did I say that all the "cases" are harmless? Of course not. But undoubtedly a lot are otherwise the death rate would be massively higher than it is now , and (from what I have read from many sources) the excess death rate is very similar to what you would expect at this time of year.
no you did not say "all" but you did say "many":rolleyes:
where are you getting these figures from? as The Office for National Statistics says covid has already taken more lives than flu and pneumonia together.

Well I'm pissed off.

This was WAR!

Oh ****!
in ww2 some did not see their loved ones for 5 years they didn't bang on about it being bad for their mental health.

Many could not do their job as they was doing war jobs so others trained to do other jobs they did not do before, they didn't claim to be offended because they wanted to be a dancer and not to train to work building spitfires,
if the warden shouted turn that light out they did not say they was exempt from turning lights out or say its was their human right to have a light on, they did their duty for the good of others.

Why the delay in a lockdown? Let's have another few days to spread the virus. Why not just announce it, and say, "now".

That would take common sense as we have seen before the bloke has none at all.

Doing it sooner would have also looked like he was doing exactly what stammer told him too.

Last edited:
Can I ask you all how this - the general way the whole Covid "thing" - is making you all feel? I'm talking more psychologically than physically.

I'll kick it off with this contribution:

We are both in our early 70's and reasonably fit but Mrs J did have Flue "A" (confirmed by a test - not Covid) back at the beginning of the year which went on to pneumonia and took her into intensive care isolation on a ventilator and near death. I also had the flue (own doctor's diagnosis) but fought it off at home. I'll leave out how deeply distressing that whole episode was. In addition we had a member of the immediate family suffer a serious psychological illness which hospitalized her for some weeks. In fact she's only just really getting back to being near her "old self" in recent weeks. Then there's Covid and all us "oldies" are being told if we catch it we're probably going to die horribly or get "long Covid" and be significantly disabled as a result?

We've pretty much cut ourselves off from physical contact with anyone and we go to the supermarket at times when it's quiet wearing our masks and, sometimes, plastic gloves. The most risky thing we do is childminding - which Nicola allows here in Scotland - for our youngest boy's family. Our daughter and her family are managing to weather this storm well (and in fact are part of a voluntary covid monitoring scheme so being tested weekly) as is our older boy and his family, largely because his wife works from home so childcare is no problem. My younger boy however has his own, one man, sign writing business. Which, pre covid, was doing nicely but is now picking up almost no business so he's driving a Tesco van so his wife is also working. They can't do this and look after the children at the same time. Childminders fees are too expensive so we and the other granny (no granddad now) share most of it with one day at the childminder. Without us doing this they will go under.

I find my mood swinging wildly between feeling so happy that none of us in our extended family, even my sister who lives in the US, have so far contracted the Covid and being able to see the two youngest grandchildren when we do the childminding and deepest despair and unhappiness at not seeing the other 3 grandchildren or my kids and feeling terrified by what might happen to Mrs J - after the last episode - if she were to catch it.

Early mornings, during that half asleep/half awake time are the worst. I'm on the emotional equivalent to the Blackpool big dipper (and that frightened me enough). Can't seem to see a way to get off! Glad to say though, I'm a long way from throwing myself off the north bridge yet!

Stay safe and my best wishes to you all
Jock

Back