Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Currently reading:
Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Well it looks like we are going to have a second wave here in France.
The last 24 hours there have been 20,000 new cases positive so things are looking very bleak indeed.
Where i live in Brittany most people have been following the suggested precautions and so it's not too bad.
I'm soo lucky i'm retired and can stay at home to tinker on my classic cars.
Take care
Alan

About the same here in Germany. (Mostly) younger people seem to think that the danger is over, and are going out having parties. The infection numbers are higher now than in April and daily rising. Most bigger cities already restricted life circumstances again, and we can hardly travel from one state to another without testing and/or quarantine.

A friend of mine told me that he has seen bunches of people gathering in a pub without distance and without masks a major local politician amidst them yesterday.
If people consider to be able to play games with the virus i'm sure we'll have another lockdown soon.

The discombobulated babblers which organised demonstrations against the government arrangements producing science blind lies up to the QAnon rubbish were and are not a bit helpful too.

OMG, let brain rain.

Last edited:
Some thoughts.
Infection numbers are rising recently, but testing is increasing as we at last manage to organise this.
Prior to mass testing, we were aware that many had the virus, but were asymptomatic. We only find out about those if tested later for antibodies, and we're still not sure how long those stay around in the body. So total number of infections is unknown. Prior to testing, we were really only counting the numbers of those that showed symptoms bad enough to need medical attention. It is possible some people just had mild symptoms, and isolated themselves, perhaps not reporting.

Now we have more testing. This will highlight everyone with the virus, including those without symptoms. To properly compare numbers, surely we should only compare the numbers with symptoms to earlier figures. Including asymptomatic people will show higher figures, and may contribute to rising numbers giving a false impression.

I'd hope that clever people would have considered this, and report the figures accordingly, but of course, statistics can often be manipulated to say whatever you want them to say.

Example: If 2 out of 5 road traffic collisions involve drunk drivers, 3 do not. Statistically we are safer meeting a drunk driver than a sober one. Nonsense, but that is what the statistics can say.

Yesterday, stopped off at a local farm shop to get some eggs. They also run a small cafe, and have tables outside.

As I arrived, a family group were leaving a table. Dad wandered across to his car, Gran towards hers, but them paused to give child a big hug and a kiss whilst saying goodbye.

Some thoughts.
Infection numbers are rising recently, but testing is increasing as we at last manage to organise this.
Prior to mass testing, we were aware that many had the virus, but were asymptomatic. We only find out about those if tested later for antibodies, and we're still not sure how long those stay around in the body. So total number of infections is unknown. Prior to testing, we were really only counting the numbers of those that showed symptoms bad enough to need medical attention. It is possible some people just had mild symptoms, and isolated themselves, perhaps not reporting.

Now we have more testing. This will highlight everyone with the virus, including those without symptoms. To properly compare numbers, surely we should only compare the numbers with symptoms to earlier figures. Including asymptomatic people will show higher figures, and may contribute to rising numbers giving a false impression.

I'd hope that clever people would have considered this, and report the figures accordingly, but of course, statistics can often be manipulated to say whatever you want them to say.

Example: If 2 out of 5 road traffic collisions involve drunk drivers, 3 do not. Statistically we are safer meeting a drunk driver than a sober one. Nonsense, but that is what the statistics can say.

number of tests is not relevant as percentage of people tested being positive is going up, not just total number.

Yesterday, stopped off at a local farm shop to get some eggs. They also run a small cafe, and have tables outside.

As I arrived, a family group were leaving a table. Dad wandered across to his car, Gran towards hers, but them paused to give child a big hug and a kiss whilst saying goodbye.

might be the last hug n kiss she ever gives

number of tests is not relevant as percentage of people tested being positive is going up, not just total number.

Still don't have a proper comparison as we don't know how many have had the virus without symptoms.
Percentage increasing still not telling me anything, unless we know the numbers of people with symptoms. The asymptomatic positives need to be excluded for a proper comparison.

Ivor Cummings has said from the outset that statistics are being misused. He's been accused of conspiracy theories but those who want to put down any dissent will always go for the character rather than disproving the argument.

He's here on talk radio explaining what he meant regarding masks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHA-a4moDKE

Here he is again last week talking about the graph curves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKFe0-iL1kw&t=11s

wow its on youtube must be true :eek:

I took our 'panda driver' for a test at the weekend
Thankfully it was 2.5 miles away.. so only out of the house for 30 mins

Testing routine has changed:

In june 20 it was through the car window -with instuction that your inevitable reflex cough be directed into the cabin -
swivel your head away from the person in scrubs

Now you are passed the kit.. drive forward into a bay.. then once your swabwork is complete are directed to a final point where sample is grabbed and dispatched.

Far less physical contact with staff: GOOD

left to swab yourself.. or A.N.Other if desired.. potential for : BAD

Results are supposedly within 48 hrs.. we were advised this will be a minimum.. as they are 'under pressure'

I believe a testing lab is being developed locally too.. my son has applied for a post there

Last edited:
BBC news item discussing the 'nightingale' hospitals in Northern England

Shows a UK wide map of the sites..

Shows Cardiffs Millennium Stadium as 2000 beds..
BBC quoted in April that it is being taken apart.. and a new site found later in the year..

I believe this is not an isolated decision
You do wonder about the Actual state or 'Readiness'
We can but hope

My surgery is almost non stop on the day, you have to book an appointment, then when you turn up, it's off to whichever room, swab, needle and back out into the one way system to the back door ! All in all, less than 30 seconds interruption of walking !! Because of my diabetes and being clickety click, makes it doubly necessary.

So Boris has a team of scientists to give him advice and he goes against it again.

ben.JPG

I had flu in 2015 and within a week had pneumonia. Amoxycillin did SFA so got switched to a combination antibiotic but only just escaped a hospital visit.

Back