Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Currently reading:
Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Last edited:
I don't know quite what you want me to say in return Andy.

During the earlier course of the Covid 19 panic, I heard, either on TV or radio (not sure which) a reporter doing a comparison between Covid and winter flu.
The reporter said something along the lines that no more people had suffered with covid than normally suffer with the winter flu. So, me thinking, why all the panic then. I began reading whatever I could to enlighten myself and the more I read the more I became convinced someone's playing a blinder.
I cannot know who or why, but everyone seems to have readily jumped on the bandwagon to go along for the ride (with the exception of Sweden, who, as far as I know, have kept lock down to a bare minimum but haven't suffered for it.

I only have one other thing to add to this discussion, it's about the numbers and the statistics: We all know numbers and statistics can be made to look like anything anyone wants them to look like, it depends on:-

A, whether that person has an agenda to air,

B, whether the numbers needs assistance in achieving the required result.

And as far as I am concerned too many people are sprouting too many numbers to make any sense at all.

I shall now leave this discussion because no amount of hot air from any of us is going to cure anything.

Best stick to fixing cars I think.
All these new-fangled terms that come out - Gaslighting (we used to have that in our tourer caravan) Blackfishing, price gouging, gender politics, TERF etc etc. Where do these things get dreampt up? It is depressing.

All these new-fangled terms that come out - Gaslighting (we used to have that in our tourer caravan) Blackfishing, price gouging, gender politics, TERF etc etc. Where do these things get dreampt up? It is depressing.

dont think they are new the film gaslighting came out in 1944

Thanks for that. I had no idea what any of those terms were about until I googled them! I've actually given up trying to "keep up" anymore!

I had a most depressing experience yesterday. I have a very very old pay as you go mobile phone which needed topping up yesterday. I have the phone primarily so Mrs J can find out where I am if I wander off and get "lost" when we are out shopping or if I go on one of my long walks. Normally I go into the EE shop with my green card, pay them £10 and they top the phone up for me. Yesterday they were very busy, only one shop assistant in evidence who offered me an appointment later in the day - no use to me. When I told her what I needed she said "just go into Boots next door and buy a voucher". So I did. Trouble is the voucher doesn't top up the phone! you have to Text a long number from your phone to the EE people. I think I've probably done, at most, half a dozen texts in my life and none of them included doing numbers. I didn't know that to get the numbers you have to push the button repeatedly 'till all the letters have been displayed then it gives you the number. The very kind SKY lady on her Mall stand noticed my frustration and showed me what to do. She must have thought "What a silly old plonker!"

The term has been used since the sixties. Other terms have been in existence that are not familiar to us for quite some time, but this medium we using at the moment opens a lot up to us, which in the past most of the population were ignorant in certain areas.

I went to see the play Gas Light at Nottingham Theatre Royal in the 1980s. I worked across the road at the Post Office and we used to get free tickets.

Celebrities would come in the Post Office and were always friendly. There is one that I always remember. I was walking to work about 8.30 one morning and the streets were fairly busy. John Conteh the boxer was appearing at the playhouse and was out that morning running. I didn't see him coming and he went straight into me at speed. I came off worst and was in a daze all morning.

Since English is not my mother tongue, and i don't use it in every-day-life, English metaphors are not quite familiar to me. In case of "gaslighting" and other expressions which are looking strange to me i found out that the urban dictionary can be very helpful:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gaslighting
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Blackfishing
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Price Gouging

Last edited:
Back