Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Currently reading:
Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Washing your car on the street outside your own house .... allowed or not allowed

Not allowed, by Act of Parliament.

Under The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020:

Restrictions on movement

6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.

For the purposes of the Act, the place where they are living is defined thus: "the premises where they live together with any garden, yard, passage, stair, garage, outhouse or other appurtenance of such premises"

it does not include the street outside the place where they are living.

Good luck on arguing that washing the entire car is an essential purpose.

You probably could argue that washing the windows, lights and number plates was necessary, but not the whole car.

There appears to be nothing in the regulations to stop you washing a car on your own private driveway.

Last edited:
Not allowed, by Act of Parliament.

Under The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020:

Restrictions on movement

6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.

For the purposes of the Act, the place where they are living is defined thus: "the premises where they live together with any garden, yard, passage, stair, garage, outhouse or other appurtenance of such premises"

it does not include the street outside the place where they are living.

Good luck on arguing that washing the entire car is an essential purpose.

You probably could argue that washing the windows, lights and number plates was necessary, but not the whole car.

There appears to be nothing in the regulations to stop you washing a car on your own private driveway.

Thanks for that info i went to the petrol station Friday and there was a chap using the jet wash, today on my way home from work saw one chap on his drive and one on the street washing there cars ok under the current crisis and dirty car is small fry but i thought its good exercise...... oh well 50 push up and squats and tummy crunches ... i am a complusive liar :D:D

Last edited:
A bit excessive. 80% of people who get covid do not require hospital treatment.

From the Italian data 87% of the dead are over 70

So with no treatment a very high proportion of the work force would be able to return to the work with no social distancing.

500,000 people a year die in the UK in a typical year. That number will not be very much different this year.

Brilliant well thank you for chipping in to something completely nothing to do with you, but with your amazing insight from another country and your incredible ability to google some numbers you’re certainly well place to explain why this virus is largely harmless to the families of the two dead nurses, one dead midwife, two dead doctors, 5 dead bus drivers, the dozen children in the uk that have died or the thousands of patients currently filling every intensive care unit across the country..... because I can assure you not one of them will give a stuff what you have to say.

Also just because people recover, it doesn’t mean they are not being left with serious ongoing complications and damage to there lungs and hearts.

The whole purpose of the lock down is to save those people who do end up severely unwell and not all of them are old.

You’ve gotta love keyboard experts! Remind me what you do for a living?

Last edited:
Brilliant well thank you for chipping in to something completely nothing to do with you, but with your amazing insight from another country and your incredible ability to google some numbers you’re certainly well place to explain why this virus is largely harmless to the families of the two dead nurses, one dead midwife, two dead doctors, 5 dead bus drivers, the dozen children in the uk that have died or the thousands of patients currently filling every intensive care unit across the country..... because I can assure you not one of them will give a stuff what you have to say.

Also just because people recover, it doesn’t mean they are not being left with serious ongoing complications and damage to there lungs and hearts.

The whole purpose of the lock down is to save those people who do end up severely unwell and not all of them are old.

You’ve gotta love keyboard experts! Remind me what you do for a living?

Take it easy mate. Statistics is not for everybody.

500,000 people a year are going to die in the UK. To be healthy we need to focus on life rather than death

Last edited:
Take it easy mate. Statistics is not for everybody.
Clearly not...

500,000 people a year are going to die in the UK. To be healthy we need to focus on life rather than death

Just ridiculous and proves you haven't a shred of understanding.

We don't spend over a £100BN a year on our health service just for the healthy. We don't spend billions on preventing accidents in work places and on the roads just for fun.

We spend this money to keep people from adding to the 500k a year reducing the number of unnecessary deaths, and we have a lock down in place to prevent adding another 20,000 deaths to the normal number of deaths that happen each year.

If you like statistics (clearly you don't care about people) how much money do you think the 5000 deaths from Covid has already cost the UK. I don't mean from the lock down or the cost of all the emergency funding thats been put in place. I mean how much do you think it costs to deal with the treatment and fall out from the death of 5k people.

There's a little project for you to spend your online time working out. (y)

Clearly not...

Just ridiculous and proves you haven't a shred of understanding.

We don't spend over a £100BN a year on our health service just for the healthy. We don't spend billions on preventing accidents in work places and on the roads just for fun.

We spend this money to keep people from adding to the 500k a year reducing the number of unnecessary deaths, and we have a lock down in place to prevent adding another 20,000 deaths to the normal number of deaths that happen each year.

If you like statistics (clearly you don't care about people) how much money do you think the 5000 deaths from Covid has already cost the UK. I don't mean from the lock down or the cost of all the emergency funding thats been put in place. I mean how much do you think it costs to deal with the treatment and fall out from the death of 5k people.

There's a little project for you to spend your online time working out. (y)

Evidently you think you are the clever clogs here

When you stop running around like a headless chicken worrying about the cost of a few accidents what do you think will be the final cost to the economy of this crisis?

And dont forget all the accidents and misery and sicknesses that will happen for decades to come due to the human cost this crisis is creating where people are thinking about 3 bus drivers compared to the many more drivers who will die due to stress and other peoples behaviours created by the various miseries that are happening now

As I said Stats is not for everybody

Well, our lovely daughter & husband & grandson, have just dropped off shopping /food & goodies complete with four bottles of refreshment;) We just transfer money to their account. My daughter takes her NHS identification with her just in case, but did not require it this time.

Up here my wife & I consider ourselves very fortunate indeed, but even in our wee village we still don't take any chances. It's frightening the news down south. After all this there will be some horrendous stories of heartache, divorce & even worse I fear, then there will be all the pregnancies wanted or not maybe some amazing happy tales. :)

...we have a lock down in place to prevent adding another 20,000 deaths to the normal number of deaths that happen each year.

Without a lockdown, we'd be adding many times that.

With almost no exceptions, governments the world over have knowingly chosen to put their economies into the most severe recession most of us will have ever seen. They have not done that lightly; they have done so only because their virology and epidemiology experts have told them there is no other way of preventing their healthcare systems being completely overwhelmed and their citizens facing agonising death on a scale not seen in living memory.

This is a global crisis greater than most of us living today have ever faced. Faced with such a crisis, you need to protect your life, your livelihood and your job, in that specific order.

If you are unfortunate and find yourself without a job at the end of this, there will be other ways of earning a living. If you have to endure a period of real financial hardship, take comfort in the fact that you are still alive to do so. Still alive to feel the warmth of the summer sun on your back; still alive to see your children and grandchildren growing up, still alive to learn a new trade and find a new way of earning a living.

These are truly terrifying times, but I'm taking much comfort in knowing that the world's leaders have chosen to put the health of their citizens before the health of their economies; there's something profoundly humanistic about not sacrificing the old, the weak and the vulnerable, and recognising that saving lives must take priority over saving businesses.

Last edited:
A lockdown !!

Many think it is a holiday with pay.

Army should have checkpoints stopping cars and unmarked vans asking why they are out and where they are going ( like Europe )

Hello Sir, where are you going,,,

Well lad, it is essential, I HAVE to take these 2 little ****ty dogs to the beach for a walk..

But the beach is 15 miles from your home Sir....

That`s right lad, essential....

And that is what is going on around here. You almost think it is the summer holidays........

As I said previously, most will have to see a relative wheeled into an ambulance before they pay attention !!!!!

Far too many people working that should be stopped.

I am self employed and have no idea if or when I might get any income, either from clients or the government, but for my safety and others I am inside.

More worryingly is the fact that people are prepared to have tradesmen on or in their property at this time doing work, because they want THEIR new kitchen or front door done at a time to suit them. Hence encouraging people to be on the move that should be at home.

Finances are a priority for us all but this might give some a wake up to be a lot more careful and not spend every penny they get, and put the rest on a credit card........

Feel really sorry for any business that has recently made any expansion or taken on any additional financial burden to try and get ahead. Many doors will never reopen after this................

Time for the banks to help those that helped them out of their own mess !!

Aye, it's the lock ins that should be done to the letter, due to circumstances I've practically been in the confinements of my house since January. My wife & I regognised early on that we had to keep inside to keep our special needs son safe. We are lucky I keep blethering, but believe it or not I genuinely feel for anybody that has little help, lonely & has nobody. Like others on here, I honestly cannot believe this virus.

Just to lighten things a bit, did you hear about the two hungry midges who came out early this year, & one said to the other....Where the f*ck is everybody.:D

Evidently you think you are the clever clogs here

As I said Stats is not for everybody

I mean.... I have a degree certificate on my office wall that covered statistics, Not that in your last post you said anything about statistics.

I would however like to refer you to my previous statement.

Remind me what you do for a living?

Obviously Boris Johnson will be knocking on your door in the next week for all the answers. (y)

Back