Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Currently reading:
Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Today while out to get milk and stuff, there was a whole Drift of Police officers on bicycles checking reg numbers at beauty spots and walkers parking area's, so I think that it is not scare mongering.
Cases in Dorset have risen by 232% in the last 2 weeks.....
Hope they were Electric assisted Bikes for PC Plod:)
Alan

Today while out to get milk and stuff, there was a whole Drift of Police officers on bicycles checking reg numbers at beauty spots and walkers parking area's, so I think that it is not scare mongering.
Cases in Dorset have risen by 232% in the last 2 weeks.....

That's not ANPR Though is it, that's people typing reg's in.

That's not ANPR Though is it, that's people typing reg's in.

My you are picky. it still takes local policing to 'talk' to those breaking the rules, i am sure those in Mobile units and mobile camera's are playing their part as well.
Oh, i spoke to one of the cycle police about half an hour ago as he paused by my house. Checking on 'visitors' and where they come from is exactly what they are doing.........I believe the Chief constable, you don't have to but why question my experience...sounds familiar dosn't it:p

With more people at home. more of the time, I'd expect crime rates to slow. Perhaps the police have more time on their hands to do this type of stuff. A good idea. Visitor who was in the street on Tuesday was back again today. Hopefully a carefully controlled 'bubble'.

My you are picky. it still takes local policing to 'talk' to those breaking the rules, i am sure those in Mobile units and mobile camera's are playing their part as well.
Oh, i spoke to one of the cycle police about half an hour ago as he paused by my house. Checking on 'visitors' and where they come from is exactly what they are doing.........I believe the Chief constable, you don't have to but why question my experience...sounds familiar dosn't it:p

How’s Dave being picky? He’s just talking fact and I was going to say exactly the same.

Police are having to manually check every vehicle. A complete different setup and process to this automatically being done by ANPR systems. Not sure what relevance your last point has to Dave and I commenting about ANPR systems checking being scaremongering :confused:

Last edited:
Most days I've been going a wee walk up our lane away from the, normally busy, Ferry Road just for a more peaceful experience. Today I decided to go the other way, just for a change, and wandered down to this main road. Busy or what! When we had that first big lockdown there was just the occasional vehicle trundling along. Today it's nearly, well not quite, nose to tale as it would have been last year before the virus was about.

Why aren't we all staying home? Are there really that many people working? Maybe they are all going to the supermarket? I'm confused and worried.

Why aren't we all staying home? Are there really that many people working? Maybe they are all going to the supermarket? I'm confused and worried.
not sure if its the same up there but in England
lots of people who were not allowed to work in first lockdown are in this one including the construction industry, over 9% of the uk workforce is construction.
Even landscape gardeners concider themselves as construction so keep working.
D.I.Y stores are also open that wasn't allowed until late in the first lockdown same with garden centres, and people then use these for a day out instead of essential only.

Not to mention all the companies doing click and collect, Hobby Craft being one of the “essential” companies that is allowed to operate click and collect legally Just in case you need emergency glitter or some candle making kits.

Added to all the other companies that have carried on because now they will claim they “can’t work from home” and the most recent lock downs have been nothing like the first.

Construction is still going strong up here dave and I saw a gardener's van who does a garden round the corner from us - He's been coming for at least a couple of years. DIY superstores seem to be still open but not their garden centre annexes (I think). Tradesmen can only come into your house if it's essential - so you can get a broken central heating boiler fixed but a decorator can't paint your livingroom. The traffic I saw at around 2pm today was almost all private cars though.

We are being strongly advised by Nicola and "the headmaster" as we call her chief clinical director, every day on TV(BBC Scotland), to stay home, work from home and only go out for essentials. She actually said, yesterday I think? - the days are running together for me now - that if you normally would go to the supermarket twice a week you ought to get organized and only go once! The supermarkets are being much more strict and proactive about everyone wearing a mask and encouraging people to shop alone. Have to say the supermarkets are quite quiet. It's easy to distance. We are doing a big shop every 2 weeks and we've got a week left of present supplies but we are going to arrange our next one to be well before the end of the month when people will have some money in their pockets so it may be busier. I do wonder though if substantial numbers of people are now running out of money? A lot of this "support" from the government doesn't seem to be getting to people we know who would seem to need it.

Last edited:
was going to put this in grumpy thread but goes here to really, if he can get covid when in hospital with all the precautions in place, there is no way any of us can be safe at work with other people.
Message from one of my long standing customers, he was a nice old boy too. :(
I hope you remember me - you have very kindly looked after our mobility scooter needs for quite a while now. I’m very sad to say that Roger died in hospital on Sunday after a long diabetic related illness and then he contracted covid whilst there.
I would like to ask if you are interested in buying his scooter, and if so when you could come round.

How the Fxxx do i know, ask the police who made the statement, I am sure they know how to use THEIR system for tracking and tracing whoever they want and if your an expert then you know full well how they can and do use it.

I am just passing on what I thought was useful information from my local area and the actions they are taking to safeguard My community to benefit readers of the coronavirus thread. Why don't you drive down this way and see if the police chief constable is lying and maybe go home £200 lighter?

You’re still not getting it are you, Dave and I were on about ANPR systems being used to police people, not the police manually doing checks like you’ve witnessed. They’re two very different processes!

Stop getting your nickers in a twist and trying to pick keyboard fights needlessly (y)

was going to put this in grumpy thread but goes here to really, if he can get covid when in hospital with all the precautions in place, there is no way any of us can be safe at work with other people.
Message from one of my long standing customers, he was a nice old boy too. :(

Lost an uncle this morning.
He went into hospital just before Christmas, with breathing difficulties, not covid related, but serious, and a high risk he'd not survive it. Early this week they took him off the ventilator, and reported he was doing well and expected to be going home this weekend. Yesterday he deteriorated, a covid test showed positive, and his body was not in any state to fight it. He was 93 I think, but otherwise quite active.
He was one of the first UK nuclear scientists, starting at Harwell in South Oxfordshire, but quickly moving to Winfrith in Dorset where he worked until he retired.
Being on a ventilator, I suppose he was in the same area as covid patients, so a high risk area. His immediate family had not been allowed to see him, but did get a reasonable Zoom session on Monday.
(Just when you think there's light at the end of the tunnel, it is a train coming.)

When this lockdown started, we were told all driver training must stop. DVSA tend to think only of learners, but then agreed that training of experienced key workers would be permissible, which is mostly what I do, with supermarket delivery drivers.
So all my January bookings were cancelled, then some reinstated, then cancelled again, then a raft of new ones put in the diary. Now all cancelled again, nothing until after 15th Feb. Seems like a good idea.
Just give the supermarket vans a bit of space meanwhile, some may be high risk and without remedial training. At least they are mostly on winter tyres, all year round.

Lost an uncle this morning.
He went into hospital just before Christmas, with breathing difficulties, not covid related, but serious, and a high risk he'd not survive it. Early this week they took him off the ventilator, and reported he was doing well and expected to be going home this weekend. Yesterday he deteriorated, a covid test showed positive, and his body was not in any state to fight it. He was 93 I think, but otherwise quite active.
He was one of the first UK nuclear scientists, starting at Harwell in South Oxfordshire, but quickly moving to Winfrith in Dorset where he worked until he retired.
Being on a ventilator, I suppose he was in the same area as covid patients, so a high risk area. His immediate family had not been allowed to see him, but did get a reasonable Zoom session on Monday.
(Just when you think there's light at the end of the tunnel, it is a train coming.)

So sorry to hear this :(

nothing on their facebook page or the dorset police traffic cops facebook page. cant even see it here https://www.dorset.police.uk/covid19faq ot their home page:confused:

Expanding on the approach Dorset Police will be taking in the coming weeks, Chief Constable Vaughan said: “We are not going to set up roadblocks. We never have and this is not roadblock territory but we will be focusing on arterial routes, using things like automatic number plate recognition.

Back