General Cooper or T-Jet?

Currently reading:
General Cooper or T-Jet?

Just download the Punto brochure from the Australian fiat site and they have the top speed of the M-Jet at 200km/h which equates to 124mp/h. Do you think the 0-60 speed is 9.5 then or are they misleading us on this front as well?

Also, do you know where you can get hold of the torque and power graphs as well as length of time it takes to get from 50-70 mp/h - Some car manufacturers give this information away but I can't seem to find it anywhere for the GPS.

If you want a fair representation of the acceleration of the GPS I would ignore 0-60. it's after about 15-20 mph the GPS really shines, alot faster than a petrol that does 0-60 in 9.5

the tuning potential of this car is also brilliant, post remap acceleration is an extremely good imoprovement on standard. Top speed is quoted as 124 but I can safely say (here come the comments) i've had a slight touch under 140 in mine and it was still pulling.

far cheaper to run! It's a No Brainer if you test drive the 1.9...... Insurance on the GPS 1.9 is also MUCH cheaper than the Cooper!:D

I've had a look into this and worked it out on average petrol consumption and average fuel prices that here's facts:

M-JET: 5,000 miles costs £463.03
T-JET: 5,000 miles costs £517.52
54 Reg Cooper: 5,000 costs £572.35 (actually this is more like £598)

Insurance - Fully Comp with Direct Line:

M-JET: £249
T-JET: £242
54 Reg Cooper: £307 (but I have got quite a few factory fitted extras on it)

Then there's the price of the M-Jet and T-Jet on buyacar.co.uk:

M-Jet: £10,134
T-Jet: £9,575

So there's the figures!

If you want a fair representation of the acceleration of the GPS I would ignore 0-60. it's after about 15-20 mph the GPS really shines, alot faster than a petrol that does 0-60 in 9.5

the tuning potential of this car is also brilliant, post remap acceleration is an extremely good imoprovement on standard. Top speed is quoted as 124 but I can safely say (here come the comments) i've had a slight touch under 140 in mine and it was still pulling.

Totally agree. However I had my car remapped to a claimed 170bhp & could not pull more than 135mph on a dark & deserted A11 3 weeks ago. The car did not feel safe at that speed (it "wandered" across the lanes) . Otherwise, the re-map is fantastic.

Easy really the petrol car has a wider power and torque band has a 5 speed box and weighs less so it makes sence. However you got a point about fiat changing the site :eek:. And before you say anything im on my tea break...

Don't take any notice of me anymore Chris. I've made my point - & you need to look after your F3 air/ground crews - as they would reasonably expect of you;) . Look after them pal & they will most certainly look after you.......(y). Ask your OC OPS (or SOPSO - bypass OC GRF as he's a junior officer & will be frightened by your request!) for a back seat ride - you will go into a queue but you will eventually get the ride of your life!

Failing that, ask your OC GRF/ SOPSO if you can have a session in the F3 Air Combat Simulator at RAF Coningsby. Speak to OC Sim at Coningsby - they are very happy to oblige (@ +£7500 an hour.....).

Best rgds, Mike

Last edited:
Totally agree. However I had my car remapped to a claimed 170bhp & could not pull more than 135mph on a dark & deserted A11 3 weeks ago. The car did not feel safe at that speed (it "wandered" across the lanes) . Otherwise, the re-map is fantastic.

To be honest mike when I was pulling that speed the road swept down ever so slightly. BUT on the same stretch I couldn't pull that before my remap.

I slowed down because like you said the car felt unsteady, very twitchy.

To be honest mike when I was pulling that speed the road swept down ever so slightly. BUT on the same stretch I couldn't pull that before my remap.

I slowed down because like you said the car felt unsteady, very twitchy.

It is very simple. The GPS was never designed to be stable at more than about 120mph. It is too high, light, tall & narrow. It requires SERIOUS lowering & VERY stiff springs to be safe at high speed. I came back from S. France on Monday in my Chipped Alfa Brera 2.4 Diesel. (3990lbs!!)
& cruised at 100 mph (hitting an indicated 150mph occasionally). That car over 1010 miles returned an indicated 35.9mpg. DIESEL IS KING!!!:eek:

It is very simple. The GPS was never designed to be stable at more than about 120mph. It is too high, light, tall & narrow. It requires SERIOUS lowering & VERY stiff springs to be safe at high speed. I came back from S. France on Monday in my Chipped Alfa Brera 2.4 Diesel. (3990lbs!!)
& cruised at 100 mph (hitting an indicated 150mph occasionally). That car over 1010 miles returned an indicated 35.9mpg. DIESEL IS KING!!!:eek:

Exactly,

it's a sporting, not an abarth, it's not trying to be anything more so I wouldn't expect it to be stable at more than 120mph.

Glad you are enjoying the brera! I have been thinking of one of these when I get rid of the GPS. I had a look at one at autoitalia and I must say as far as looks inside and out go, i really like them.

True, diesel is king, for me anyway, there are many petrol drivers that beg to differ for their own reasons and it's horses for courses. All I'll say is I have an insurance group 6 car that completely p*sses all over petrols in a higher group, and does more miles to the gallon.

Exactly,

it's a sporting, not an abarth, it's not trying to be anything more so I wouldn't expect it to be stable at more than 120mph.

Glad you are enjoying the brera! I have been thinking of one of these when I get rid of the GPS. I had a look at one at autoitalia and I must say as far as looks inside and out go, i really like them.

True, diesel is king, for me anyway, there are many petrol drivers that beg to differ for their own reasons and it's horses for courses. All I'll say is I have an insurance group 6 car that completely p*sses all over petrols in a higher group, and does more miles to the gallon.

Do we agree yet again!? I've had every performance petrol car you could name (My wife will confirm that - as I've spent every spare penny). I've had Porsche, Ferarri, TVR, Lotus. V6 Clio, R32, RX-8 etc. etc. Yet what rocks my boat is getting over 35mpg at maximum performace on a transcontinental trip. My computer showed an average speed of 81.8 mph & I hit over 150 mph many times. All the other cars (Lotus excepted) would have returned MUCH less than 20 mpg. The Brera has looks to die for & is SO much more attractive than my old F355.....(y)

I've had Porsche, Ferarri, TVR, Lotus. V6 Clio, R32, RX-8 etc. etc. Yet what rocks my boat is getting over 35mpg at maximum performace on a transcontinental trip.

Surely if you can afford all of these top performance cars then you can afford to fill them, yet now you own a fiat gps and alfa brera. Can anyone else smell somethin :confused:

Yes. The GPS 130 is MUCH faster than the 120bhp 1.4 engined car.
No it isn't! ;)

Fiat UK have possibly deliberately misled the general public to try & sell the profitable 1.4 T-Jet.

Yeah I heard it was Bush that blew up the twin towers aswell. :D

Look at the Fiat website & apply the "comparison" option. Select both the 1.4 T-Jet & the GPS 130. They are having a laugh!:D How on earth can Fiat say that the lower powered car - with a damn sight LESS torque has a faster 0-60

As already stated wider power bands and different gearing. Also around 150kg the difference.

& Fiat now claim that the GPS 130 only has a top speed of 111mph (It was 124mph last month I believe!!!!). I can personally assure you that the top speed of the 130 is pushing 130mph...

Speedo or GPS in any case well done. ;)

Fiat UK have F****d up yet again. I understand that as of today many Alfa/Fiat dealers lost their franchise this week under "re-structuring" of the brands by Fiat & Alfa Turin. You might wish to see if your local Fiat/Alfa dealer still exists as of today..........:cool: . Many dealers have gone.:(

I bloody hope mines still there. I'd hate to turn up for work and it closed down without anyone telling me. :D

Last edited:
Whats wrong with the cooper dude? My friend test drove it on the weekend and prefered it to the Grande Sporting. Best way though is to jump in the car! Keep us posted what you do!

There's nothing wrong with the Cooper but it's coming up to three years old now and I think I fancy a bit of a change. The only things that have annoyed me every now and again is a) I've had to take it back numerous times because of the constant rattling and squeaking from the dash b) I'm never confident enough to overtake other cars because it seems to take ages getting enough speed to do so.

There's nothing wrong with the Cooper but it's coming up to three years old now and I think I fancy a bit of a change. The only things that have annoyed me every now and again is a) I've had to take it back numerous times because of the constant rattling and squeaking from the dash b) I'm never confident enough to overtake other cars because it seems to take ages getting enough speed to do so.

Trade it in and get a cooper S, do a few mods and should see 230bhp.

Overtaking won't be a problem ;)

Surely if you can afford all of these top performance cars then you can afford to fill them, yet now you own a fiat gps and alfa brera. Can anyone else smell somethin :confused:

What do you smell young man - your own skid-marked pants? Perhaps you smell a totally honest opinion?

I've been retired since 1998 (At the age of 40) & can afford any car I wish. Your comment is offensive. Go away little boy & play with your Playstation or Wii:bang:

I might add that you sound like an utter twit. Here's a quote from an earlier thread of yours:

"agree with that, almost all my friends have either written off a car or 2 and in one case 3. but touch wood i haven't, people say all young drivers are the worst and race around everywhere, but this isn't partly true, its just the odd few who give us good drivers a bad name. (y)"

Last edited by a moderator:
okay can everybody just chill out and get back to my Cooper v GPS dilemma :):):)

lol get a GPS, with me being biased i would say get the T-JET but thats because i wanted to be abit different and have a petrol turbo, also due to the success of the old punto gt which was a 1.4 petrol turbo.

okay can everybody just chill out and get back to my Cooper v GPS dilemma :):):)

test drive both t-jet and m-jet.then come back and tell us your decision if any.its a very simple choice in my veiw.if you do a lot of mileage go for the m-jet if not then the t-jet.game over:D

good way to put it, i will only do about 10 mile a day max so thats why i went for the petrol T-JET

yeah thats a good choice(y)Looking forward to seeing photos of your car when you get it:slayer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back