Technical Cooling/Antifreeze question

Currently reading:
Technical Cooling/Antifreeze question

Panda92

Hello guys,

Quick question. What cooling/antifreeze do I need for my Fiat Panda 2004 1.2 (59hp) Dualogic?

I lost my user manual and my levels are bellow minimum.

Cheers:)

Hello guys,

Quick question. What cooling/antifreeze do I need for my Fiat Panda 2004 1.2 (59hp) Dualogic?

I lost my user manual and my levels are bellow minimum.

Cheers:)

Options.. what COLOUR is it ?

We had a 2004
had BLUE Ethylene Glycol from factory

After it developed a leak..and blew the HeadGasket :eek:
it got flushed and RED O.A.T. Coolant instead

Charlie

Last edited:
different types dont mix Blue vs Red

unless you are dropping all of it out and Flushing,

You only options is to top up like for like

as per answer above

Largely speaking I agree with what's been recommended above - But, You need to find out why the level has dropped. Modern cooling systems are sealed with expansion tanks so shouldn't really loose any coolant at all if working properly. Don't ignore it because lack of coolant, as I'm sure you'll know, can lead to overheating and if there's one thing these, otherwise robust, wee engines don't like it's overheating. They are likely to "reward" you with a blown head gasket. Apart from the usual radiator and hose checks, it's worth knowing the metal coolant pipe that runs horizontally along the front of the engine behind the exhaust manifold/downpipe is prone to corrode.

If there are no obvious leaks visible then get it pressure tested - almost any garage will be able to do this, although my choice would be a Fiat independent because they will know the potential weak points to look for. My personal preference would be to flush the system and refill with an OAT coolant, as Charlie has done, which has measurable advantages compared to the old silicate based, typically blue in colour, coolants. Probably at the age your vehicle is, it would benefit from a good flush and coolant change anyway. This is a simple procedure and shouldn't actually cost all that much, but get the leak, if there is one, checked first.

Good luck!

Hi all,
Thank you all for great advices.

At the moment a pink/ish liquid is inside.

As for the coolant levels, every car says that their cooling system is "sealed". But like anything in the world. Its a bit of an exaggeration.

The car is super low mileage 26.400km and its 2004 model. Spent most of its life sitting in the garage.

I can check with the local garage about the leak. But given that I have changed the coolant some good 5 years ago. Such "loss" of liquid is not alarming for me. But again I can check it next time I am at the shop :)

However my question is,

Once I flush the system, is it safe to use say G13 coolant? or G12 (or G12++).

The newer gen stuff wont hurt it? :)

When I did the cambelts and water pumps on both our own Panda (2010 1.2) and my boy's Punto (2012 1.4) both with FIRE engines, I took the opportunity to flush through and refil with TradeTec red antifreeze (50%) and they've been running very happily for the last few years on it.

Here are a couple of items which might interest you and help you decide what to use:
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/t-car-motorbike-coolant-antifreeze-explained.aspx
and their recommendation:
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/f/102205/17961/2004/antifreeze.aspx

Opie is a well established and trusted supplier, you can believe what they say.

PS another reference which might help: https://www.commaoil.com/products/results/91035258

Last edited:
My water pump had a core plug into the casting which was leaking. New pump and cam belt solved it. The hardest part was getting the belt covers off (and repairing gorilla spanner damage on one of them). Timing on the 1.2 is a doddle just check that you've not got it out by one tooth (tensioning can pull it along by one tooth).

Coolant leaks from the steel pipe that runs across the front of the engine are common. The pipe is cheap to replace but leaks can easily go un-noticed.

Back