Technical Coolant

Currently reading:
Technical Coolant

Emma5891

Hi everyone, after some advice. My 2017 500 Lounge 1.2 is using a lot of coolant, I check and usually top up every day, but there is no sign of a leak when it's parked. The coolant level only ever goes down to just below the minimum level in the reservoir, and no overheating warning or signs. Is it overheating?

Hi everyone, after some advice. My 2017 500 Lounge 1.2 is using a lot of coolant, I check and usually top up every day, but there is no sign of a leak when it's parked. The coolant level only ever goes down to just below the minimum level in the reservoir, and no overheating warning or signs. Is it overheating?
Have you had any work done on the car recently!? How long have you been having to top up as this is not Normal unless you have had work done on the car

Have you had any work done on the car recently!? How long have you been having to top up as this is not Normal unless you have had work done on the car
Nothing done recently, (aside from MOT in Jan). I have it booked into a garage next week, but it's been going on for a couple of weeks, it's just odd because no warnings or indications, or obvious leaks.

I assume you're not filling it to the top of the filler, only up to the maximum mark
Not sure on your year but a common failure is the thermostat the pipe cracks and leaks its on the end of the engine at the battery end just follow the big pipes with a bright torch if its not totally let go yet it could be leaking when hot and pressurised, its critical the car doesn't run low on coolant unlike some other cars so check every trip until its at the garage

I assume you're not filling it to the top of the filler, only up to the maximum mark
Not sure on your year but a common failure is the thermostat the pipe cracks and leaks its on the end of the engine at the battery end just follow the big pipes with a bright torch if its not totally let go yet it could be leaking when hot and pressurised, its critical the car doesn't run low on coolant unlike some other cars so check every trip until its at the garage
I'm only filling it to the max level when I top it up - it has never gone below just under min level. It's a 2017 plate

yep the plastic pipe that connects the thermostat hose to the heater matrix weakens at the point it enters the thermostat body, first its a minute crack that leaks a tiny amount of coolant all the time! level drops but as the leak is so small it hits the hot engine and evaporates away so no visible sign!.

A good test is after you have run the car up to operating temp squeeze the top hose! it will be hot but you will be able to collapse it with your fingers under pressure as because of the small leak, the system is not holding pressure if you was to grip the heater matrix hose right at the thermostat end and wiggle it i bet you a pound to a penny it will break off!.

Get a replacement thermo of e-bay- be sure to find the ones with a metal outlet pipe once fitted it cures the issue and future proofs the system! you will find the broken pipe is probably stuck quite well into the hose and can be tricky to remove i made a small gap with a flat blade screwdriver and squirted wd 40 around the edge and as far in as i could and then pulled the broken pipe out with long nose pliers( mind yer fingers!.
while doing this repair its worth buying a pair of radiator hoses and doing them at the same time so you know most of the system is all good! ( other problem area is the main water pipe(metal) which runs from the water pump to the thermostat but its hidden away behind the exhaust manifold so if its not leaking leave well enough alone till it does!.)
Also you will have to remove the battery and its tray to get access to change the thermostat!.

Back