Technical Coolant tank empty...AGAIN

Currently reading:
Technical Coolant tank empty...AGAIN

I'm here, I'm here!!!

Been offline for a while because I've moved into a brand new flat which doesnt have a phone line and I'm in dispute with the landlord as to who is paying the £122 BT connection fee! :mad: SO just piggy backing onto someones wireless just now before I go mad due the lack of t'internet!!

But anyway, I have the T-jet 150 Sport. And yes, I seem to have had all of the coolant problems you could ask for! Twice it was the pipe going into the torbo, and the other times it was somewhere different each time. I'm sure I have actually had it back in while I've been offline...back in June. But each time it was the hose clips that werent fastened correctly, apart from the time it was leaking from the water pump lol!

I wouldnt say its anything to be worried about to be honest. You should be checking fluid levels in the engine bay once a month anyway, so you would spot a loss of coolant anyway!

If you go for the non-turbo version you will always wish you had got the turbo so you have a bit of power when you want it! :devil:

But on a side note...is there anyway to have the Sport button removed...I'm wasting too much petrol!!!:devil::devil:;);)

But on a side note...is there anyway to have the Sport button removed...I'm wasting too much petrol!!!:devil::devil:;);)

Just disable it:cool:

Attachments

• super-glue.jpg
    super-glue.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 39
Well guess what my car is going in to get fixed for again on Thursday?

Came out to it on Sunday morning to find the largest puddle of coolant I've had ever! Normally it just drips...it must have been gushing out overnight as it was less than 24 hours since I had parked it.

Ah well maybe they will find a cure for it eventually but this is getting a tad annoying! :bang:

Annoying? I'd be going mental right now.

Did you buy the car new? How long have you had it and how many times has it been back for coolant related issues? I'd be angling for a new car if you did buy it new and it's not that old.

It was bought pre-reg, so not strictly new but technically it was! That was back in June 2008.

I have no idea how many times its been in now, I've lost count...but I will be asking for a detailed list when I'm in on Thursday and I'll be talking to Fiat about it.

No point in going off the head at the dealership, they're doing what they can!

Not just me having coolant problems then! I noticed mine loosing coolant the day after I bought the car! After 6 visits (touch wood) it has finally been sorted. I have the 1.4 T jet 120 version. Once they fixed the leak I had to have a new heater matrix fitted which was a dashboard out job. The horrible sticky pink red antifreeze had worked its way inside the car and every time the heater control was even slightly past cold the smell was overpowering. My car is actually going back in tomorrow as when they put everything back together not all the lights work around the heating controls.

I’m not sure about others experience but I have had to argue over every warranty issue and write letters of complaint the get items sorted! The dealers really do need to get there act together! Not sure if we can name and shame but have nothing good to say about Vospers in Exeter. They had a terrible reputation as Sidwell St and they are just as bad now. The don’t even have the courtesy to reply to a letter of complaint.

Rant over.

(n)

I wouldnt say its a problem thats generic to any of the cars to be honest. The cars that have had problems havent all leaked from the same place! My car has leaked from all over the place but now seems to be isolated to one hose

Well got the car back today...and its booked to go back in on Monday :(

Its the water pump again, or at least thats what has been ordered and being fitted next week.

So...I have a list of every time the car has been in for warranty work (Only 6 times, I could have sworn it was more)...and I will try and find time at work tomorrow to email Fiat.

Anyone know what I should be asking them for? Compensation? A free service as a gesture of goodwill?

We dont have a "lemon car" law in the UK, and its too late to hand it back so I wont be getting a new car out of them sadly!

Because there is no "lemon law" in the Uk, you are only protected under consumer rights. This has an advised time limit of 6 months for a fault to arise and a supplier to remedy the fault or replace the item.

There are only two courses of action that i could make Fiat do if I was to take legal action. They could buy the car off me, which would be at a reduced rate because they will want to sell it on again...or they have to replace the car with one of a similar standard. This would mean I would be given a car a little over a year old with around 20,000 miles on the clack - a second hand car!

I dont want to have to do either of the above, never mind the cost of getting a lawyer involved.

SO I'll be asking for recompense and assurances that it will be fixed this time and wont be a recurring problem throughout the life of the car.

I think that aslong as the garage is sorting it (quite sure they dont want to change the pump again aswell) then thats 90% of the battle. All too often on here we see members with ongoing problems that are getting (or appear to be) nowhere.

If the garage picks up/delivers the car, is honest with you & does what they can then to minimise your inconvience then theres not really alot more you can expect.

I think you're taking the easy way out.

How am I taking the easy way out?

Explain how Shouting and moaning to Fiat or the dealership that is repairing it again (not the same dealership I bought it from BTW) is going to achieve more than getting a free service or extended warranty?

I'm not going to be able to hand the car back and I'm not wanting to take ownership of a second hand car if I take the options which would be available to me if I challenged them legally.

So tell me what you would do?

I am more than happy to let them fix it and see how it goes. The problem doesnt stop me driving it, I am never without my car (or a courtesy car if they have had to keep it in) so I'm not exactly inconvenienced. The dealership is even on my way to work!

I'll be perfectly happy if they fix it this time, and give me some free servicing!

Well thats the water pump been replaced for a second time...

...and this morning I went out to find a nice big wet patch under my car again!! :bang::bang::bang:

So thats it been reported to Fiat. Got my case reference number and I'm awaiting a call from them on Monday or Tuesday. I've let the dealership know and they are expecting it to go back in next week once I have found out what Fiat are gonna do about it.

I'll keep you posted!

can you not work out where it is coming from? Not suggestion you fix it, but i'm really curious to see where it is actually leaking from.

If they keep suspecting the pump, and it's not - then it is probably the O ring on the water rail as it comes out of the pump and accross the front of the block.

OR it is from around the pump, and the casting on the block is flawed.

can you not work out where it is coming from? Not suggestion you fix it, but i'm really curious to see where it is actually leaking from.

If they keep suspecting the pump, and it's not - then it is probably the O ring on the water rail as it comes out of the pump and accross the front of the block.

OR it is from around the pump, and the casting on the block is flawed.

I've got no way of checking where the leak is actually coming from to be honest! Its on the underside of the bay and I've not got a trolley jack to lift it up to have a look myself. And if its managing to fool the mechanics in the garage that its the water pump then I'm not gonna be able to figure it out otherwise! lol

But my guess was exactly what you said...its a flaw with the block...which will mean a new engine!

SusieJay...where is the pink spots? At the front of the engine bay? if so that'll be the turbo coolant pipes that are leaking

Back