General Coolant problem

Currently reading:
General Coolant problem

Hi
I recently changed my coolant, but since then the temp guage gets up to 3/4 only after a few minutes driving. The fan has kicked in but only near the red. I can hear air being pushed round the radiator and pipes but cant get it out with bleeding.

Any ideas?

just heard air in radiator after 15mins running, opened bleed screw on radiator and steam came out. This because no coolant is getting to radiator?

its only since i changed the coolant, was fine before.the top radiator pipe is getting hot so i ruled out the thermostat. i never had a problem till i changed coolant

Are you getting hot air through the heater? As you suggest, it sounds like an airlock is still there and you could try the bleed screw on the heater hose again. I've always found the system a pig to bleed successfully and last time it took a blast up the road and back to clear an airlock that just would not shift with bleeding. Either that or a lot of squeezing of the various hoses to try to 'pump' the air up to a point where it'll escape.

I just cant seem to get the coolant flowing from the expansion tank, seems to just stay in there. Ive been squeezing the pipes and can just hear air but no coolant coming from bleed screws

Could it be that some foreign object had found its way to the hose during coolant replacement and now it's blocking the flow? Or the coolant pump isn't working or is stuck? A friend of mine has also had a problem right after coolant replacement as the new coolant was "too aggressive" (mechanic's explanation) and caused the pump leak right away.

Anyway, be extremely cautious with running the engine in these conditions because it can overheat very quickly without coolant. As well, the fan isn't helping almost at all when the coolant isn't circulating (you already pointed that the fan kicked in too late (almost at RED) which signifies trouble). Did you follow the recommended procedure for filling the system with the new coolant?

i had a bit of a breakthrough today. ive done a bit of plumbing here and there and when theres an airlock in pipes in the house they can be blown out. so i blew down the expansion tank to push it through pipes and the coolant shot out of the bleed screws!!! and now i have heating back in car and temp guage is more stable. Cant believe it!!!

Last edited:
Hi, well i had all of ur problems!!! My radiator kept gettin air locks and i cudnt undastand why, then a wk or so later my water pump broke and i was told bcuz of that my water was leaking quickly out the system. Anyway i got a brand new water pump and bcuz my car was used 2 a loss of pressure as soon as the new 1 was on it blew my head gasket!!!!!!!!!!!! was fuming. Im now having 2 pay 4 everythin! Head gasket, cam belt, new spark plugs and leads as water got 2 them. Just b very careful as id hate the same thing 2 happen 2 urself. Get ur water pump checked a.s.a.p!! :)

This problem of mine was back in january. I changed the thermostat and temp sensor and that cured the problem.

Back