Technical Continued Clutch issues (98 1.2 8 valve)

Currently reading:
Technical Continued Clutch issues (98 1.2 8 valve)

Vectrolosys

Hello,

I have recently been given a Punto 60S, which I am sorting some niggly little faults on before shifting on to a new home (starter motor, smashed passenger window, etc).

The issue I have now, is with the clutch, a much covered subject on here it seems.

Now, the original slave cylinder was leaking fluid past its internal seals, so I bought a new unit and fitted it. The symptoms of the old unit failing, were a difficulty in engaging reverse, notchiness on all forward gears and a slight clutch drag on reverse.

I replaced the cylinder and bleed the system several times, until only clean fluid emerged from the bleed nipple.

The leak has gone, but the clutch is still having issues. It drags slightly in reverse, and is selecting gears is still a notchy experience.

I examined the selector arm and found at least half an inch of play between getting to the clutch and being off the clutch. With the slave in place, it is in the position it should be in. I considered moving the arm slightly on its splines, but this would mean the slave piston would not sit properly on the actuating arm.

Was wondering if anyone had any tips or if anyone has had problems like this before? I thought the clutch master cylinder could also be at fault, but thought this would just mean the pedal would shoot to the floor and not come back up.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks,

James

Hello,

Sorry to bump this back up. Does anyone have any clues as to why the clutch may still be dragging slightly?

- Release bearing issue?
- Master cylinder issue?

Thanks in advance,

James

Hello,

After doing some investigation elsewhere, if has been suggested that the release bearing has partially collapsed, which makes sense seeing as the release arm has too much play in it.

Couple of questions.

1 - Anyone else seen this?
2 - Is a clutch change an engine out job on the Mk1 Punto?

Thanks,

James

I have just done mine, hardest part was getting the suspension apart so you can split the driveshafts. It has been years since i have done anything to a car and it ended up taking me about 8 - 9 hours so i imagine anybody mechanically minded would do it a lot quicker.

One tip i read somewhere which worked fine was that you dont need to get a clutch aligning tool. A normal 15mm bit of copper plumbing pipe fits perfectly and costs about £3.

Back