connecting to a computer through a modem

Currently reading:
connecting to a computer through a modem

if it helps i have never gotten my SB4200 to work on USB lol its just too much of a pain so i use ethernet (y)

USB with the SB4200 is Plug 'N' Pray

EDIT: BTW is wont work anyway because the ISP will have MAC address blocking doodles in place, it can be over ridden though.

oh right, his is on USB and i was trying to use my laptop of the ethernet connector on the modem, was i doing it right or should it be plugged into his computer? oh and he has a wireless router but the cable going into his modem is kind of like an ariel and wont fit in his router even though it says it's for cable too, thanks for your help! :D

Trancendental said:
If you are trying to connect to the internet through his computer he either needs:

2 Network Cards: One connected to the modem, one connected to your computer.

Or

1 Network card: connected to your computer and the Modem connected to his computer via some other method (USB)

You need to set up 'Internet Conenction Sharing' on both computers.

You should set the Network Card on your mates machine as follows.

Card connected to your computer should be:

IP ADDRESS: 192.168.0.1
SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0

Card on your Laptop should be:

IP ADDRESS: 192.168.0.2
SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: 192.168.0.1

That should be it. If you are using any firewalls make sure addresses 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255 are set to the Trusted addresses entries.
do you know how i get in to change that? thanks! :D im going to his again soon, was on 4 hours last night trying to sort it :(

Well my computer died in the middle of the night, only just bought it back to life :confused: I think its getting old.

Control Panel / Network Connections + 'Right Click on the Network Card and select Properties'

Select 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and press the properties button just below it

Select the 'Use the following IP address'

Then type in the details.

Your computer should be connected to his computer

The Modem should be connected to his computer if you are doing Internet Connection Sharing.

You could connect your computer to the modem but then he would have to connect his computer to yours and when you leave and take your computer you will have to reconfigure his Internet Connection Settings.

Back