Configuring a Belkin router to BT Broadband

Currently reading:
Configuring a Belkin router to BT Broadband

Right got a Belkin N series router

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/421081/BELKIN-N WIRELESS MODEM ROUTER

to replace the BT home hub as the wireless range is s#1te.

how the hell do i get it to configure with BT Broadband? the auto set up spits its dummy out at stage six as bt wont communicate back to it and I'm about to launch it through the window :mad:

what are the manual settings and Ip addresses, user name, passwords, and other info i need to make it work

Many thanks a p155ed off monty (having been fighting with it for an hour and half)

does it need configurating?

yep all sorted now :D

if anyone else stumbles across this problem

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=345190&forumid=18

In the router check that the setting is correct

Connection Type = PPPoA

Encapsulation Method: VCMUX

VPI: 0

VCI: 38

Authentication: Auto

Keep Alive: On

User Idle Timeout: 4320

NAT: On

QoS: On

User Name & Password that you presently use to access your ISP service

No need to worry about the Wireless system just yet, once you can access the Internet via the Ethernet cable you can than work on getting the wireless working do one thing at a time

send an email to ambra4 ambra4

Sun, 21/12/08@18:00

Once the router setup is completed and you have SAVE the setting log out and close browser

Reboot the Router by power it off and back on and wait 1-2 Min’s

You should see 5 green lights showing on Modem/Router

The 2 displays Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click-Status-Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the router IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet

If you have any blank spaces (Gateway, IP address etc) you need to recheck the Router Setup and Lan Card setting

All router have a reset button at the back of the router, which will reset the router back to the factory default

setting if required

It is sometimes desirable to reboot the router by Power it off and back on by removing the power cable if you

cannot access the Internet or find that access is very slow this will allow the router to refresh the setting from

your ISP servers in the local telephone exchange

Belkin one had my brother round mine for three hours figuring it out, I bought it off ebay because the guy couldnt set it up, gave it to my lil bro and he figured it out, he pinged it and got the ip address which wasnt the one in the instructions. Then set it up a piece of pi.. Works perfectly in the garden and upstairs, saying that the bt hub the guy up the road has I can get an excellent signal on that and he must be close to 100 yard away.

couldn't get a signal in the room next to the router (its only cinder block) let alone downstairs
:rolleyes:
Just remember that N isn't a standard yet so you're really not guaranteed any sort of performance or interoperability with other standards :)

Should have seen the bother I had using my Netgear router on 02 Broadband, talk about none standard settings :(.

I got a netgear and use BT Internet, and mine was a peice of ****.

Have they changed the settings recently then? I set mine up last year sometime.

I got a netgear and use BT Internet, and mine was a peice of ****.

Have they changed the settings recently then? I set mine up last year sometime.

O2 broadband use none standard VPI, VCI settings and also don't use authentication by username and password its done by mac address (to avoid you using your own router!) but I just replaced the mac address on it with the one off the router they supplied :D :devil:

Back