Computer committed suicide

Currently reading:
Computer committed suicide

Are you taking the pee?!?!!?. Your dad put that together and put a pissy little 420watt PSU in it!! :ROFLMAO:. I hope he doesn't to it for a living or he wouldn't be making money :nerner:.

he's actually a electrician, and has been for about 35 years. in his defence, the invoice actually says it's a 600W PSU, so i have no idea what the hell has happened there. but on the PSU case it self it does say 420.. in very very small, anti-old people text ;)

i don't suppose that CCL place have any of this new fanlged PSU your on about? I planned on goin and picking one up today cos I kinda need it back in action.. i have work to do :(

he's actually a electrician, and has been for about 35 years. in his defence, the invoice actually says it's a 600W PSU, so i have no idea what the hell has happened there. but on the PSU case it self it does say 420.. in very very small, anti-old people text ;)

i don't suppose that CCL place have any of this new fanlged PSU your on about? I planned on goin and picking one up today cos I kinda need it back in action.. i have work to do :(

CCL place? :confused:. But yeah most retailers should have some decent PSU's in stock. If you want one like NOW try Maplins / PC World (although you'll get ripped off). Just get a minimum of 550-600watts, Active PFC and 'SLI-Ready'.

I dont understand resetting the bios - I can't think of a single bios setting that would cause the PSU to blow a 13am fuse in the plug? Have I missed something?

I dont understand resetting the bios - I can't think of a single bios setting that would cause the PSU to blow a 13am fuse in the plug? Have I missed something?

You can persuade the CPU and RAM to take a higher voltage than they should by changing certain settings (though I was lead to believe they had become more idiot proof!)

My mobo lets me put 3.3 volts through the v-core on the processor when its norminal voltage is 1.3v!!

Mine comes up with a pre-BIOS voltage warning if anything is out by a large figure and wont let you boot without checking through the BIOS first. The most I've seen was 5.4V into a 1.3V core; it did not survive intact

Wow very strange. :yeahthat:. Although i remember you used a different kettle lead from your TV and has same problem. I'm starting to think Motherboard now. Has the PC ever worked since it was built? Has it recieved a knock or power surge (from electrical storms the UK has had?) since it was last turned on?.

Last edited:
It was only built this summer. It worked perfectly, it more than cut my rendering times in half :slayer: This is the first problem I've had with this build.

Motherboard, CPU, Ram were all brand new. Gfx, hdd/dvd and other bits came from my last PC.

Aside from ripping it to shreds and slamming the motherboard into another setup, is there any other way I could tell if the mobo was the problem?

Get the hoover out and clean out any dust that has accumulated over the components. I think dust and other bits of grot may conduct electricity. If I'm wrong though, at least you will have a cleaner computer.

Also, make sure that the motherboard is not touching the metal of the mounting board it is seated on - you want spacers between them as I hadto once replace a motherboard that got frazzled when it touched the mounting plate. I always now slip the foamy sheet you get with new motherboards between the two to act as an insulator.

Like suggested, try a different socket.

Get the hoover out and clean out any dust that has accumulated over the components. I think dust and other bits of grot may conduct electricity. If I'm wrong though, at least you will have a cleaner computer.

Nothing is an insulator, some things have higher conductive point voltages (ie dust needs a far larger amount than copper for instance) also air is conductive, pure water isn't very conductive but unpure is quite conductive, etc.

Overvaulting the CPU for long enough may upset the PSU and put it's internal breakers and anti surge devices (if it has any) on 'alert' but that shouldnt take a fuse with it.

Have you tried stipping the PC to bare system (no HDD, GPU etc) as suggested? Also is the PC on a surge protector? as was mentioned earlier there has been a fair few electrical storms recently

Just took the mobo, cpu and ram back to the shop as one peice, they said they'd take it apart and test the components individually to pin point the problem.

One thing I did try was plugigng the usual 24 pin main power in to the mb, but not plugging in the 4 pin power for 'cpu_1'. Weird, but it doesn't blow the fuse- lights come on but nothing actually happens.

It's all under warranty anyway :)

Just took the mobo, cpu and ram back to the shop as one peice, they said they'd take it apart and test the components individually to pin point the problem.

One thing I did try was plugigng the usual 24 pin main power in to the mb, but not plugging in the 4 pin power for 'cpu_1'. Weird, but it doesn't blow the fuse- lights come on but nothing actually happens.

It's all under warranty anyway :)

Sounds like the 12V rail or that adapter/section of motherboard has the issues then. Either that or disconnecting that drops the power consumption enough not to upset it...

Just in case anyone was loosing sleep over this thread, I had a phone call from the shop and they said the technical explanation was the mobo had 'died'.

They don't stock it either, so now I have to wait for one. Wouldn't be too bothered but I have to get myself organised and back to uni next weekend, so I could do without having to put the sodding thing back together and make sure everything is working :bang:

Back