College...

Currently reading:
College...

if i decided not to turn up then it was only me that was loosing out.
not true.

most colleges have to report KPI's to their local education authority, and then they are awarded cash depending on their performance, and they are often publicly rated in league tables or similar- both regional and national, which has a big effect on their competitiveness and reputation.

to survive a college needs to remain competitive and perform well, same as any other business.

attendance, drop out figures, pass rates, spare places, spending, average qualifications of starters, even the ethnic mix of students- all sorts of info is collected and analysed.

Last edited:
not true.

most colleges have to report KPI's to their local education authority, and then they are awarded cash depending on their performance, and they are often publicly rated in league tables or similar- both regional and national, which has a big effect on their competitiveness and reputation.

attendance, drop out figures, pass rates, spare places, spending, average qualifications of starters, even the ethnic mix of students- all sorts of info is collected and analysed.

Thats what they told me im only repeating it. Was my decision if i turned up or not, they werent going to force me to be there.

Was my decision if i turned up or not, they werent going to force me to be there.
yeah i've been told that too, but then you get kicked off the course a few months later once you've taken the p!ss, or if you're lucky they make you take the year again.

they dont force you to be there because they cant force you to be there, but at the same time you cant force them to keep you a place on the course.

Last edited:
those rules are in response to the behaviour of students. if your college was filled with people who gave a toss then no one would have felt the need for such rules.

it doesnt really matter, if you're a good student you wont be breaking any of those rules already.

I cant speak for the rest of the college, as I only see one part of it (Theres media, drama, 6th form, science, theatre and a load of other courses in the same campus, but 95% of people in my class did their work on time. Infact only 3 people where kicked off the course between the summer or left.

And it does matter (about the holiday bit anyway, the other stuff doesn't), its 3 days we're missing, we could just phone up and say we are sick and catch up on the work when we get back. Although it most likely wont work as most of them (tutors) are on facebook, and there are bound to be photos on there.

Why book a holiday in March if you know you'll be in college :confused: Your lack of commitment is showing and your tutors know it. If you don't care why should they.

Because its cheaper (and a lot cheaper than going in easter a month later). And lack of commitment? 100% attendance, all my work handed in on time, was only late a few times (less than 5 times), got on with my work in class and out of class. How the hell is that not commitment? I know at school your expected to be on time to lessons etc, but thats different to college, at school they didn't mind you going on hoilday in term time, as long as you caught up on any work you missed.

Cos it's cheaper! And if a propper college they should have no problem with it as long as your willing and able to put the work in to catch up on the week you've missed.

+1

Its 3 days that we are missing, if we had lessons every day thats different. And as we have a good record of getting on with work, handing it in on time etc.

I was speaking to my mum about it, and because I'm a young carer for my brother, and she used to take us out on term time, because not only was it cheaper, but my brother used to go to restbite while we went away (It wasn't possible for us to take him with us, and it wouldn't have been a holiday as he would have caused us more work), and it would be better for him if he was at school and restbite, rather than being at restbite for the whole week, to give him some kind of normallity.

100% attendance, all my work handed in on time, was only late a few times (less than 5 times), got on with my work in class and out of class.
if you can combine all that with good marks then i would say you have a very good chance of bending the rules. all you need to do is sit down with your tutor or course leader and explain your holiday situation.

i have always been a rule breaker, but i get away with it by keeping on the right side of the rule makers and also making sure my performance is significantly better than average in almost all areas. if you do well in every module and get on with all the teachers you can do (or not do) pretty much whatever you want.

Cos it's cheaper! And if a propper college they should have no problem with it as long as your willing and able to put the work in to catch up on the week you've missed.

In that case, why not apply that to high school too? I mean, all those parents having to take the family on holiday when it's most expensive. Why not just skip a few weeks off school any time of the year and make it up later? Thus if everyone took the same stance then people would just have holidays as and when they please (give an inch they take a mile etc.) And the whole curriculum would fall apart...

When I was at college in 2005 there was an 80% attendancy requirement. If you dropped below that then you would be kicked off the course unless you had exceptional circumstances. Most slackers normally kicked themselves off the course anyway...

At my University there is still an 80% attendancy requirement for the academic semester though we have mandatory lectures/ seminars (health and safety, CPR, moving and handling etc.) that must be attended else you will not be allowed to progress into the next set of work placements. And as for work placements we have to do a set number of hours with no exceptions over the duration of the course. I started on 1st September and have to complete 37.5 hours a week until the Xmas holidays. No breaks/ holidays until then and no exceptions except for exceptional circumstances. The work hours are required by the NMC for professional registration, and if you fail to complete the hours over the course duration you will not get your professional registration and you will not be able to get employed in your field of work. This applies even if you pass all your exams with flying colours.

Suffice to say any health care professional course is not for you if you want to bunk lectures all the time!

- external assessment is only done on a small sample, and they are already marked the sample is simply to check that the marking is within expectation.

-2 miles removes the distance issue, so why dont you go to UEA instead :confused:

- a big uni will have more people on the course with better qualifications (on average)

- cost saving is based on not having to leave home

1. About half are randomly selected
  2. Because its based at the college due to the equipment being far better, and the fact that it's only done at the college, and not UEA
  3. People on this course all have qualifications in this field, rather than a load of useless one's they got in school and don't relate to enginering
  4. Fair enough, but not all college's are 5 min up the road, and I could in theiory travel the 76 mile round trip daily, but it easier with all the extra stuff I do for the college ;)

so far i have learned that this year is more lax
less time at college i think they have forgot about last years death toll
3-4 i think it got up to

swearing is much more permitted

and parking is much more fun due to mare traffic so we box in tutors who dont use there car park they have as many spaces as us

I just had my first Radio lesson, and I think that has saved it for me, looks rather interesting. I've got writing for the screen next, which I'm not keen on, but maybe its better than I thought.

stop going to lessons you dafty, you should be taking pics of college girls and then posting them on the forum for all to see.

I went to a college which was so was laid back treated like adults if you didn't want to turn up for class then that was your own problem. Then i moved to a sixth form as it was just down the road from my house it was so strict like school i got in trouble everyday and they rang my mum about me all time when my mum didn't care it's not up to her to force me to go in etc. So i dropped out of that college most of my friends did couldn't stand it anymore.

xxxx
xxx
xx
x

My college is so relaxed compared to that :p

last thursday when i was in, we were supposed to be in from 9.30 till 4, i was in from 9.15 till 2 :D

then again, i was only sat in the work based learning room doing my work as i was the only one on my course (the same level), there was a level 2 student in :)

that was back when i had stuff to do on an evening, now i just go home for tv and the internet :rolleyes:

Back