College...

Currently reading:
College...

Kier

Prominent member
Sucks.

I loved my first year, and was looking forward to going back, but now I dont think I'm going to finish the year (admitally this is only the second day, I'm hoping Radio can make it better, or A2 Film).

So many rules now, before it was relaxed, and my mate in the year above said the same, but now there are rules all over the place. If you dont phone between 8.15 and 8.50 if you are ill you get put on disciplinary. Its going to be pretty hard to get though to them if the whole college are phoning the same number.

Last year (college year) me and a mate booked a holiday, the tutors knew that we had booked it for March, and now (after we've paid for most of it) they are saying we cant go, if we do we'll get put on disciplinary. They've said that we should change it for easter, but then the price goes up because its during school holidays, and there are 10 others going.

Also what pisses us off, is there is this guy who was hardly ever in, always saying he was ill etc, still hasn't handed in work from the first year, and hes still allowed on the course, I had 100% attendance last year, coursework handed in on time. And they wont let me have 3 days off >.<.

Have a question though, what is a disciplinary? I asked my tutor and he just said its like you get at work, but I've never had one at work.

[/endrant]

you know you dont actually have to go to college so whatever a disciplinary is it wont be held against you under any other circumstance other than the college, i say go on holiday and F**k 'em as long as you're going to pass everything:D

lol, we're still going on holiday, we're not wasting over £1,000 between us not to go now.

At the moment though I cant see myself staying until march anyway.

what kind of college is that? More like school! And your tutors know you're going on holiday? What kind of relationship do ye have? I know the names of my lecturers and tutors and thats about it!

those rules are in response to the behaviour of students. if your college was filled with people who gave a toss then no one would have felt the need for such rules.

it doesnt really matter, if you're a good student you wont be breaking any of those rules already.

Last edited:
Why book a holiday in March if you know you'll be in college :confused: Your lack of commitment is showing and your tutors know it. If you don't care why should they.

Why book a holiday in March if you know you'll be in college :confused: Your lack of commitment is showing and your tutors know it. If you don't care why should they.

Cos it's cheaper! And if a propper college they should have no problem with it as long as your willing and able to put the work in to catch up on the week you've missed.

am I getting the whole college and uni mixed up again? Is college (for you) more intimate like school?
college is half way between school and uni. generally you dont have a uniform or as many rules, but you are still spoon fed your course and supported like a child.

college is half way between school and uni. generally you dont have a uniform or as many rules, but you are still spoon fed your course and supported like a child.

Shut Up [Vicky pollard style].

Alot of colleges now do uni courses now. I'm doing a Degree at my college starting in a week, Linked with the UEA, but done at my college because we have the facilities ;)

Right, I'm talking about uni so! We just go to a lecture hall, listen and take notes from the lecturer. Lecturer doesn't know your name because there are a few hundred people there. If you don't turn up that's your problem and you won't do very well because of continous assessment. Most interaction is then done in smaller groups in tutorials with tutors where everything absorbed in the lecture is put into practice!

Last edited:
Alot of colleges now do uni courses now. I'm doing a Degree at my college starting in a week, Linked with the UEA, but done at my college because we have the facilities ;)

my GF is starting her second year of her degree next week. its taught "off campus", which means its the same course they do at uni but its taught at a local college instead.

its usually easier to get on a degree course at college (they're more desperate to fill the places) and from what i've seen i'm sure marking is much more lenient. you lose convenient access to full uni facilities like the library, and generally your peer group will be less able, which means your personal development will be held back. overall i think its a good choice if you're an independant learner and your local college makes it more affordable to get your degree instead of going off to uni.

its usually easier to get on a degree course at college (they're more desperate to fill the places) and from what i've seen i'm sure marking is much more lenient. you lose convenient access to full uni facilities like the library, and generally your peer group will be less able, which means your personal development will be held back. overall i think its a good choice if you're an independant learner and your local college makes it more affordable to get your degree instead of going off to uni.

What a load of tosh.

• No less lenient, still alot accessed externally,
  • UEA is only 2 miles up the road which we have full access to all facilities at ;)
  • And why would my peer group be less able :confused:
  • And the college cost exactly the same so I don't know where you got that from :mad:

What a load of tosh.

• No less lenient, still alot accessed externally,
  • UEA is only 2 miles up the road which we have full access to all facilities at ;)
  • And why would my peer group be less able :confused:
  • And the college cost exactly the same so I don't know where you got that from :mad:

- external assessment is only done on a small sample, and they are already marked the sample is simply to check that the marking is within expectation.

-2 miles removes the distance issue, so why dont you go to UEA instead :confused:

- a big uni will have more people on the course with better qualifications (on average)

- cost saving is based on not having to leave home

Last edited:
My college didnt give a fcuk if i turned up or not. At the end of the day it was my choice to be there and i was only going to benefit from the stuff they were teaching me so if i decided not to turn up then it was only me that was loosing out.

Back