Heres my progree blog of my work in progress

Bought it in May,

then after a good service and wash/polish

then after i done tints...

and carbon fibre effect badges

then alloys

cc'd wing mirrors

hopefully be getting a few bits n piece to make it look like this soon

You could call it a doors shut respray, minus roof and bumpers.

A full respray would include inner doors under bonnet etc, IMO..

Got my LED's & wire, so going to spend some time this evening doing those in my room, I aint spending anymore time out in a cold shed!

LED's are really bright, direct 12v so no need for resistors, plus got them to try them out before I bought them to verify colour as they where labelled as yellow, thankfully there a nice amber.

You could call it a doors shut respray, minus roof and bumpers.

A full respray would include inner doors under bonnet etc, IMO..

Got my LED's & wire, so going to spend some time this evening doing those in my room, I aint spending anymore time out in a cold shed!

LED's are really bright, direct 12v so no need for resistors, plus got them to try them out before I bought them to verify colour as they where labelled as yellow, thankfully there a nice amber.

Im really looking forward to what you do with the mirrors, i think this will be a first for home making indicators into them, will look loads better than the stupid M3 mirrors. Fancy coming to collect my car and then respraying it then dropping it back off? Ill buy you a pint when your here :p

Done!

P1020168.JPG

P1020167.JPG

Now to find something to fill them back up level with the case...gonna try and melt some clear plastic to see if it retains its transparency. May just use clear silicone if that fails.
Need to paint the holes with silver or white paint, reflect the light a bit more..

Outer edge of the case is about 6mm thick, while inner is only 2 or 3mm, so dont think a perspex rod would work, cant find any local suppliers eithier...

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Whats the diameter of the holes to fill?

A bit odd, but couldnt you use something like this...
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10g-2-5mm-Transparent-Clear-Flesh-Tunnels-Ear-Plug-1658-/320645777601?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=bin4aa7fa48c1

Maybe leave one end off and use the other end to secure it inside? Im sure theres a u.k one with a more flush end.

The tunnels are no good because they have holes which would let the water in (i wear tunnels so i know lol) and the silicone ones you may as well just use some clear silicone to fill them instead because they are expensive

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Holes are 5mm diameter. Gonna drill some holes in a piece of perspex, mix up some clear coat and hardener 50-50 mix. I know it will dry hard and clear, few blobs of it on garage floor where i spilt some, but dont know if it will come out of the perspex hole, it will probably stick to the sides.

If it doesnt work ill probably just go the silicone route, least expensive and it will make sure its water tight.

Compressor is acting up today, keeps leaking out of the joints thats on the tank. Time to put it back in the box & take it back to the shop I think.

Other than that, basecoat is going on okay, apart from a drip of paint that landed on the bonnet, was running down the side of the cup and decided to fall off on the bonnet, nice!

A bit of paint left now so ill give it another quick coat then clear coat..

Those wing mirrors are looking awsome. Definatly better than the m3 mirrors.

The respray is comeing alog nicely you will have it all back together in no time at this rate.

Clear coat is done, few wee runs here and there, but far better than the last time, alot less orange peel.
Why do flies find clear coat so attracting, "oh ill just have a dip in this, get my wings nice and shiny". He landed on a part that was a bit tacky from overspray, thankfully got it off before it stuck!

IMG_20111112_173926.jpg

IMG_20111112_173907.jpg

IMG_20111112_173837.jpg

IMG_20111112_173823.jpg

IMG_20111112_173814.jpg

Leave it overnight to harden up, might leave it until monday to start putting everything back on.

I was thinking along the top like saabs.

Its looking really good, defo might copy the mirrors lol. Haha you should see my bonnet lol the amount of flys inbeded in it, there not stuck in the lacqure, its just from the motorway but nothing will get them off lol.

Thats colour is looking so nicer for some reason, it look like matt but glossy lol, well jelly

Started putting it back together today out of boredom.

Cant figure out how Ill wire up the indicators, have the arch liner out and can see where the wire goes into car, but cant see that part on the inside. Ive them wired up temporarily thru the gap near the top of the wing but i think the wire wouldnt last too long and could get caught on the hinge. Only other option is to find the wires for the rear clusters and splice into them.

IMG_20111113_143328.jpg

Can you see the washer jets?
IMG_20111113_143205.jpg

Old rear badge stuck on rocker cover..
IMG_20111113_143046.jpg

IMG_20111113_143135.jpg

Gave up trying to get the original wires for side repeaters back into cabin, cant see where they go and cant see anything under dashboard.

Found the wires that control the rear indicator, so have stripped down the door and its connector to feed wires through, then going to splice into them.

Yes 6speed, that would look alot better than the faded carbon fibre vinyl thats on it now, but will probably just do it with glossy vinyl, save having to mask it all up.

Alloys where taken out to be put back on, wanna see how it all looks alloys, debaged bit & c/c'd bumpers..

Back