Technical Coil pack help!

Currently reading:
Technical Coil pack help!

organdonor

Basically my old coil packs are worn so I replaced them with these coil packs. One of the new packs started to cause a misfire so by process of elimination I found out what pack it was and put the old one back on. I just thought I had got a dogy coil pack but yesterday I started to get a misfire again but it happen only 100ms from my destination. I parked the car up and when I came back to the car the misfire had gone. My suspicion is the new coil pack is about to let go. I'm either extremely unlucky or the coil packs are crap! Where can I get a decent brand of coil pack?

This is all on a cinquento sporting 1.1 98.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
generic packs (I assume as there is no brand markings on them or part numbers etc!). The old coil packs are branded Magneti marelli I'm guessing these are the original packs? I could not find any where that sold these exact packs they are part number BAE800AK.

EDIT: link fixed in the first post!

Last edited:
Right well I was running one original pack and one of the generic packs and I lost ALL power while driving home! The car will not start now unless I give it loads of throttle and the car goes into limp mode!

Its weird because I rest the the ECU by disconnecting the battery and tried to start the car and it trys to start and then cuts out. When I disconnect one coil pack and have the other running it starts and runs (obviously only on 2 cylinders and not in limp mode!).

Is this a bad ECU? If so can I just fit any sporting 1.1 ECU if I get one from the breakers yard?

SPi ECUs are fairly bulletproof.

Have you checked the crank sensor?

Have you checked the temp sensor?

Cheers

D

Nope but surely it would not run on 2 cylinder if either of these had gone?

Also the key light comes up on the dash but if it comes up and you turn the igntion off and back on it goes away. This leads me to believe the ECU/imbolsier has been played with in some way in the past? (n)

Thanks for all your help (y)

With only one coil pack connected you should get the light on, the lambda should be seeing unburnt fuel.

99% of SPi ECU problems are sensor related. The other 1% is total shut down.

Yours is a weird problem, but I still think its sensor related.

Cheers

D

May not be coil pack I was convinced I had coil pack problems turned out to be MAP, go to a scrappy get replacement.
pick up replacement coil packs,MAP and spi system for £35
good luck

May not be coil pack I was convinced I had coil pack problems turned out to be MAP, go to a scrappy get replacement.
pick up replacement coil packs,MAP and spi system for £35
good luck

Thanks I have already replaced the MAP sesnor which was causing the injector warning light to come on. As soon as I replaced it this light went out and it was a brand new MAP sesnor so the chances of it breaking are not high I would have thought.

I think the crank sesnor might be the place to start as if this fails it wont know when to fire? But it works ok in limp mode?

Sorry for the double post but where is the crankshaft sensor located? I'm guessing some where on the left side of the engine bay?

Back