Technical Help with wiring harness s*show

Currently reading:
Technical Help with wiring harness s*show

L3ks4

Hello everyone, here i am for another new question. Namely, I've once again decided to try and fix my rpm gauge, and wanted to chase down the wires, to see exactly how they are routed, only to find out the purple/black wire that goes to the relay is grounded just before the relay to the chassis bolt right next to it... If i unground the purple/black wire, the fuel pump stops working... Now it's even more confusing that the fuel pump doesn't turn off when the car key is in the on position... Also saw that the wire was spliced into, as somebody had already tried some repairs, now any help would be very appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20230412_173754.jpg
    IMG_20230412_173754.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20230412_173740.jpg
    IMG_20230412_173740.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20230412_171030.jpg
    IMG_20230412_171030.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20230412_171040.jpg
    IMG_20230412_171040.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 43
Hello everyone, here i am for another new question. Namely, I've once again decided to try and fix my rpm gauge, and wanted to chase down the wires, to see exactly how they are routed, only to find out the purple/black wire that goes to the relay is grounded just before the relay to the chassis bolt right next to it... If i unground the purple/black wire, the fuel pump stops working... Now it's even more confusing that the fuel pump doesn't turn off when the car key is in the on position... Also saw that the wire was spliced into, as somebody had already tried some repairs, now any help would be very appreciated!
It may not be relevant but in view of the fact you say others have been trying to make repairs to the wiring near relays I will just mention this.
One of my daughters had an 06 1.3 Grande Punto , it was a non runner, the starter and fuel pump in the tank would not operate when you turned on the ignition key, the fault turned out to be a wire corroded away inside it's plastic sheathing just before the ECU plug. This fed the relay at the fusebox in the engine compartment. I managed to start the car by powering up the relay with a fused test probe.
Whilst working on it I noticed that the trigger wire for the relay that I mentioned was broken, when fixed I found it is designed to change from positive to negative depending on whether the ignition was on or off, so from a live supply to an earth supply, it seemed strange to me, but once the broken wire was replaced the car was used for several years with no issue.
Note no one had tampered or tried to repair the wiring , this was as it left the factory.

It may not be relevant but in view of the fact you say others have been trying to make repairs to the wiring near relays I will just mention this.
One of my daughters had an 06 1.3 Grande Punto , it was a non runner, the starter and fuel pump in the tank would not operate when you turned on the ignition key, the fault turned out to be a wire corroded away inside it's plastic sheathing just before the ECU plug. This fed the relay at the fusebox in the engine compartment. I managed to start the car by powering up the relay with a fused test probe.
Whilst working on it I noticed that the trigger wire for the relay that I mentioned was broken, when fixed I found it is designed to change from positive to negative depending on whether the ignition was on or off, so from a live supply to an earth supply, it seemed strange to me, but once the broken wire was replaced the car was used for several years with no issue.
Note no one had tampered or tried to repair the wiring , this was as it left the factory.
Thanks for the info, as a matter of fact i've checked the entire wiring in the engine bay, apart from the wires being just isolated in some places it seems to be in okay condition apart from the splices aformentioned. It seems as if they've skipped the ecu giving power instead just made it get constant voltage while the car is on... Really confusing, it seems to me i'll have to replace the whole harness..

Thanks for the info, as a matter of fact i've checked the entire wiring in the engine bay, apart from the wires being just isolated in some places it seems to be in okay condition apart from the splices aformentioned. It seems as if they've skipped the ecu giving power instead just made it get constant voltage while the car is on... Really confusing, it seems to me i'll have to replace the whole harness..
Sounds like you are trying to locate a fault at the same time as fixing someone elses poor repair, which is always harder.

Sounds like you are trying to locate a fault at the same time as fixing someone elses poor repair, which is always harder.
Yeah, the craftsmen that call themselves electricians sure tried to fix it well, though the car has also had some break in signs as well as the radio being stolen prior to me buying it... Will post a full introduction thread once i'm more familiar with the forum 😄

Yeah, the craftsmen that call themselves electricians sure tried to fix it well, though the car has also had some break in signs as well as the radio being stolen prior to me buying it... Will post a full introduction thread once i'm more familiar with the forum 😄
I trust the purchase price reflected the condition;)

Back