Technical Coil pack change

Currently reading:
Technical Coil pack change

Anyone done a coil pack change on the 1.8 petrol? Guessing it’ll be same as the smaller engines

Presuming it’s remove the bolts holding them down, remove the connector, pull out and the reverse to replace them?

Pic below is the 1.8 head in case the packs are different to the other engines

IMG_1427.JPG

Exactly as you said. Remove the bolt, remove the plug by pressing them in and replace the coil. If the plug stays in, pull the green tab out with a screw driver or a knife.

By the way, why you replacing them??

Exactly as you said. Remove the bolt, remove the plug by pressing them in and replace the coil. If the plug stays in, pull the green tab out with a screw driver or a knife.

By the way, why you replacing them??

Had the P0303 error indicating a misfire on cylinder 3.

Driving into work on Monday morning car was absolutely fine. About a 5 mile drive. Sat In the car park with the engine idleing for 5 minutes and suddenly in gets lumpy and the EML flashes. Restarted engine, this time fine on idle but lumpy under revs. Plugged in my diagnostic kit which confirmed P0303.

So I know that the code is generic and just means that the ECU has shut down cylinder 3 due to a fault.

Could mean a huge range of things, so currently doing a bit of trouble shooting.

My plan is to move the coil pack from cylinder 3 to cylinder 1 and delete all error codes.

Once restarted, if he error code has followed to cylinder 1, then I know it’s the coil pack.

If code stays in cylinder 3, maybe it’s the spark plug, maybe it’s something worse.

If we’ve now got errors on cylinders 1 & 3. F*** knows what’s going wrong! Haha.

I’ve check over the manifolds, coolant and oil level. All are good.

Coolant and oil unchanged and no mayo in the oil cap, which suggests it’s not a head gasket issue.

No sucking/blowing sounds coming from the manifolds, suggesting it isn’t a leak in one of those. (Other than one in the flexi I know about. Been there months)

Last edited:
on the 1.6 its a 7mm (iirc) RIBE socket for the coil-pack "brackets".

I got a cheap set with longs and shorts, 6mm to 12 mm, and has got me through a head off/on as well.

Back