Technical Clutch - Thank Heavens for this Forum

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch - Thank Heavens for this Forum

glowplug

For the last few months I have had a clutch that was taking lower and lower to the floor, along with very stiff gear changes. I replaced the slave cylinder, innards of the master cylinder and bled the whole system with only marginal improvement. I replaced the Gearbox oil with fully synth GL4+, again made a difference but ever so slight. I simply could not believe it was the clutch as apart from the bite point all else was fine. In addition the car has only done 101,000 and I have never replaced a clutch under 150K on any car as I tend to treat them very well.

However other claims (which I still find hard to believe) that they fail between 25-75K and the sheer loss of options made me fork out for a full DMF and Clutch Kit and had planned to do the job over a long weekend. Then whilst sitting on the train to work I found a thread on this site about lubricating the clutch fork lever. Having nothing to lose I gained access and used liberal amounts of WD40. Straight away the clutch felt MUCH easier to depress and on the very first drive I could tell the problem was solved. Gone was the grinding shift, gone was the ultra low bite point. I have never been so pleasantly surprised in my life. The car drives like new again. I know I will need to change the system one day but for now I will make the most of the life that's left in it.

Many thanks guys.

New clutch made my car like new, I had a low bite point wear in the pressure plate forks was bad and thrust bearing caput well worth doing

Sent from my iPhone using FIAT Forum

Back