General Could this be goodbye ?

Currently reading:
General Could this be goodbye ?

My Multipla was hit down the nearside on Friday whilst going back to work. 🤬 Don't want to lose her but fear the worst. Insurance company informed and photos submitted. Any advice out there ? Can she be saved ? The damage seems too much compared to value. I'm so annoyed as this was a totally avoidable accident. 😡

Attachments

• 20230304_082922.jpg
    20230304_082922.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
  • 20230304_082659.jpg
    20230304_082659.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • 20230303_164807.jpg
    20230303_164807.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Ouch. Real shame.
Trim will be hard to find even if you get panels repaired.
Looks very much like my black 2010 multi.

I would say it's not goodbye 🫰
There are plenty of Multipla's being broken in scrap yards to get the parts you need to fix and you might even get them in the right colour, try looking on Google or Ebay.
The same happened to my car last year, we didn't involve to insurance, the person who hit my car paid me for the wing, bumper and headlight and I fitted them myself in half a day (I used to be a car mechanic) and he paid for the repairs to his own car... nothing got written off and no ones insurance no claims got lost.... mine probably would have been written off otherwise and it would have been a whole lot more hassle and expense.
Looks like you need a bumper, headlight, wing and door from the picture - all bolt on items... maybe get the tracking checked.

Attachments

• 20221029_132404.jpg
    20221029_132404.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
If the insurance company writes it off you can ask to buy it back from them, which would be worth at least finding out what that would cost. If it's purely cosmetic damage as opposed to anything structural and you like the car then it might be worth pursuing.

Thanks for the advise . I have managed to find a new bumper at a decent price and i know of a door of the same colour. Arch liners are still available new and are only cheap. The wing looks repairable. Regards not going through insurance, the other driver wouldn't admit to causing the accident so i doubt she would pay for the parts. We shall see.

Update : As expected the car has been deemed beyond economical repair and i have been given an offer for the car and keep it too. I have not accepted the that offer and am awaiting an improved one, if at all. A nephew of mine does mobile repairs but works from a garage 3 days a week and has sourced a new wing and bumper, to special order, for £300 inc VAT. Painting including the door, i will still have change from a grand. Unfortunately i will have to go further afield for the door as there is nothing new, uless anyone knows of a company out there that does aftermarket panels ? Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

There are quite a few Multipla's on Ebay being broken up for spares and doors available, to my knowledge apart from minor (swappable) trim the doors are all the same

My Multipla is 22 years old and no rust on the doors so don't think you should have much problem finding a decent one.

Must be worth saving as they are becoming quite rare now and probably start going up in value as well as being very practical.

Good luck

Thanks Longprest. Even doors are getting hard to find. Well, they offered me £1160 and keep the car. I'm not really happy about that price and they won't increase it, but can't find a 56 plate out there to compare prices. That aside, the one thing i would like to know is, before i start swapping the door over, does the quarter window above the mirror come off when the mirror screws are released or is it bonded onto the outside of the door. That is a staggering £233 to replace if broken 🫣

It's always an insult what insurance companies offer, I would be tempted to accept the offer on the grounds you keep the car too, at least you know your own vehicle and your not buying a heap of trouble or something with hidden history!

I've no idea about the quarter window but no doubt someone will see this conversation and be able to help out... just make sure you get a door with the plastic intact..

Try this guy (Failsworth Fiat spares) he has a silver multi that looks OK bodywise.
I have used him a few times for both our multi, and punto, and he's always managed to come up with the goods, and sensibly priced too. Very helpful guy.
RE the quarter window, I 'think' it's bonded on, similar to windscreens??

Hope this helps!!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
It's always an insult what insurance companies offer, I would be tempted to accept the offer on the grounds you keep the car too, at least you know your own vehicle and your not buying a heap of trouble or something with hidden history!

I've no idea about the quarter window but no doubt someone will see this conversation and be able to help out... just make sure you get a door with the plastic intact..
Thanks mate.

Might still be worth giving Failsworth a call, as he also keeps some parts from vehicles he has dismantled previously. His e-bay store only shows vehicles he is currently dismantling, not his entire stock of previously stripped cars. I also have a 55 plate 'nosejob' multi, but he had a wing in stock for it when I needed one last year, despite having no multi on his e-bay at that time. Worth an email or call to see what he has in stock??

Might also be worth contacting DA Motors (Damfiats)
DA Motors
R/O 34 Runwell Road
Wickford Essex
SS11 7HQ
Phone 01268 767424
Several multi owners have recommended then in the past, but I have not personally used them.

Back