General clutch release bearing

Currently reading:
General clutch release bearing

Got sum questions guys. My car is doing the thing where it has a whirring noise which comes and goes when you press and release the clutch which tells me the clutch release bearing is going, im just curious if you can replace these on their own or wether its better to get a whole replacement clutch.
Also i was told holding the clutch down at traffic lights and driving with the clutch pedal held down for long distances is bad, can anyone explain the way that works? i didnt think it wold have any effect on the clutch as its not engaged! Also been noticing the gears are hard to get in sometimes could that relate to the clutch or do you think i should replace the gearbox oil? (when i mentioned it to my mechanic friend he said their is no need to replace my gearbox oil as my car has only done 72k and it should last till 100k, is that true?) thanks for any help.

the gearbox oil should last100k but if you want to change it before then thats up to you it can only do some good

but yes certainly remove top bung and check it's level also inspect box for leaks chances are if there's no leaks it will still have oil in

holding clutch down rather than selecting neutral will indeed wear out the clutch release bearing as will resting your foot on the pedal rather than the floor or foot rest this is true

the clutch as you probably aware is a rotating unit obviously as it's connected to the engine there fore to push on the release fingers in order to release the clutch with a non rotating stationary clutch fork there needs to be some sort of bearing between

when you foot is off the clutch this bearing is not being used as it's not touching the release fingers and trawls to a stop

when these bearings fail they can start to slip on the release fingers and begin to wear threw them meaning you wont be disengaging the clutch properly which may explain your gear troubles

it's best to have it changed as soon as posible as it may cause allot of damage if it wears all the way threw the clutch release fingers

does the clutch pedal click or scrape as you press it with the engine off noise coming from under the bonnet

also you're best to replace the hole clutch wile your in there it's false economy not to also you can reap the rewards of a nice light new clutch will make driving a very pleasant experience

and if you can get a valeo clutch for your car they are very nice light good quality clutches and there very cheap

Last edited:
hi all

when i start my engine and select gears its fine but when i drive i get a knocking noise front left of my engine or wheel , not realy sure but when i put it in nutrual and and let go of my cluch a whirrling noise comes from the same place any one got any ideas what this could be cheers :D

the gearbox oil should last100k but if you want to change it before then thats up to you it can only do some good

but yes certainly remove top bung and check it's level also inspect box for leaks chances are if there's no leaks it will still have oil in

holding clutch down rather than selecting neutral will indeed wear out the clutch release bearing as will resting your foot on the pedal rather than the floor or foot rest this is true

the clutch as you probably aware is a rotating unit obviously as it's connected to the engine there fore to push on the release fingers in order to release the clutch with a non rotating stationary clutch fork there needs to be some sort of bearing between

when you foot is off the clutch this bearing is not being used as it's not touching the release fingers and trawls to a stop

when these bearings fail they can start to slip on the release fingers and begin to wear threw them meaning you wont be disengaging the clutch properly which may explain your gear troubles

it's best to have it changed as soon as posible as it may cause allot of damage if it wears all the way threw the clutch release fingers

does the clutch pedal click or scrape as you press it with the engine off noise coming from under the bonnet

also you're best to replace the hole clutch wile your in there it's false economy not to also you can reap the rewards of a nice light new clutch will make driving a very pleasant experience

and if you can get a valeo clutch for your car they are very nice light good quality clutches and there very cheap

Hi,

If you see this, could you give a little more insight into the following (if you know):

My clutch squeeks intermittently when the clutch is up. (Release baring most likely)

I now get a slight gringing noise when the clutch is down to the floor. (This started a few weeks after the squeeking)

Is this all clutch issues where I will need a new clutch fitting or something else as well?

Thank you

Hi,

If you see this, could you give a little more insight into the following (if you know):

My clutch squeeks intermittently when the clutch is up. (Release baring most likely)

I now get a slight gringing noise when the clutch is down to the floor. (This started a few weeks after the squeeking)

Is this all clutch issues where I will need a new clutch fitting or something else as well?

Thank you
If u define the squeak and a squealing which has turned to a grinding noise
Id ve heavily suspect of clutch release starting to punch through the fingers on the release plate.

Normally tho it gets heavy before that

Ziggy

Back