Technical Clutch Pressure Plate Fixing Bolts

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Pressure Plate Fixing Bolts

Shuggie

I'm almost ready, bar a tube of Sachs grease and some fine weather, to have a go at changing the overly heavy clutch on my 09 Panda 1.2 Dynamic. The Haynes manual says that the bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel must be replaced with new ones, but while EPER shows the unit price as nearly peanuts, online these bolts seem to be rather expensive. I haven't yet asked the local FIAT dealer for a price.

Can any of our resident experts tell me if it is really necessary to use brand new bolts for the pressure plate? This is not exactly high-end motorsports stuff!

Personally, if I was doing the job on my own car I'd use the bolts I took off. I've never fitted new ones. However, if new bolts were supplied (which I've never experienced with a clutch kit) I would use them and keep the originals for further use, as I would do with any part supplied with them. But others on here may differ.

Personally, if I was doing the job on my own car I'd use the bolts I took off. I've never fitted new ones. However, if new bolts were supplied (which I've never experienced with a clutch kit) I would use them and keep the originals for further use, as I would do with any part supplied with them. But others on here may differ.
Me too I have never had issues doing this but it is a risk. Probably a small one. Just torque them correctly. Maybe the new bolts have some locking material on the threads. Use locktight.

Nope

Clean and reuse I use a bit of nut lock

What torque is Haynes saying

They should only be 10nm

Fiats instructions don't say replace

Nope

Clean and reuse I use a bit of nut lock

What torque is Haynes saying

They should only be 10nm

Fiats instructions don't say replace
Haynes manual says 15 Nm or 10 lb/ft with an asterisk emphasising 'do not re-use'! I somehow doubt that any repair workshop uses new bolts. Shame the Ridex clutch kit does not include a set, but AFAIK no kits do.

Haynes manual says 15 Nm or 10 lb/ft with an asterisk emphasising 'do not re-use'! I somehow doubt that any repair workshop uses new bolts. Shame the Ridex clutch kit does not include a set, but AFAIK no kits do.
50% too tight

Screenshot_20240102_182822.jpg

It's not unusual for Haynes to be wrong on torque,

The bolts aren't stressed to say the least

The only reason to replace is to renew the locking compound, just clean and reapply

Many thanks - that's clear enough, presumably from the genuine FIAT repair manual!
Yep it's freely viewable online

But a paper copy is nicer

It's one of the easier clutches to do at home

Just lever off the gearbox selector cables don't be tempted to unbolt anything on the gearbox your not supposed to.

Take some photos of the rear dog bone mount, it's easier to put back with the bolt already through. It doesn't make sense untill you do start to undo everything. But one of the bolts does not pass the exhaust. You can leave it in place and the box still slides off. You just have to do the reverse to put it back

LOCTITE 243 is what I use for everything

Last edited:
Yep it's freely viewable online

But a paper copy is nicer

It's one of the easier clutches to do at home

Just lever off the gearbox selector cables don't be tempted to unbolt anything on the gearbox your not supposed to.

Take some phots of the rear dog bone mount, it's easier to put back with the bolt already through. It doesn't make sense untill you do start to undo everything. But one of the bolts does not pass the exhaust. You can leave it in place and the box still slides off. You just have to do the reverse to put it back

LOCTITE 243 is what I use for everything

Thanks!

The new clutch is in, thankfully with some help from a chap called Dave. The new Ridex clutch works beautifully, with a nice light pedal action.

The old AP clutch, most likely original, still had a good amount of friction material left, but the release bearing was quite knackered - very rough and noisy, even though I had not noticed any particular noise when the clutch was operated, just the very heavy pedal. Dave noted the wear marks on the old pressure plate:

Panda_old_clutch.jpg

Anyway, this is the first time that I've done this, and it's been a good education. I'd be happy to do it again, but preferably with a vehicle lift and a transmission jack!

Back