General clutch cable snapped!

Currently reading:
General clutch cable snapped!

Strongly recommend you change the whole cable. Though access may be awkward, it really is not that big a job.
Rgds.

Right, a new cable is in place.

Hoping the bearing position is making the clutch relase arm hard to move, I pushed down fairly hard on the pedal in the hope of freeing the clutch. (I am worried I may have stretched the cable. But I don't think it is broken, because if you pull one end the other still moves a bit. )

Anyway I tightened it up, and there is a small amount of movement in the pedal before it resists.

So do I push down in the hope of freeing the release arm? I don't want to have to replace the new cable. What can I do? The clutch is in the 'in-gear' position, and reverse is selected - if I turn on the starter the car moves backward.

Please help!

Hope you have been working the WD 40 into it. You stated on a previous post that you had managed to move the release arm by about 3mm. Is it stiff to move or does it move freely?

Panic over!!!!! It works!! I got in and out of habit put my foot on the clutch to start the car and the clutch now works fine!! I'm so delighted!

I took it for a spin round the block - it took ages to start - there's a bit of arcing - I think it needs new wires that go into the spark plugs - and there's a new noise - a kind of 'weeeeuugh' but I can now finally take it to the head gasket place for reapir. No more carrying food back from the supermarket! And no more being driven around in my boyfriend's horrible embarrasing christmas present metro! Yea!

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Good show. Remember to check and adjust the clutch cable as it is new and will stretch a little over the first couple of weeks.
Rgds.

The noise started when the engine did, then quietened down a bit. It increases with revs, and is engine- rather than gearbox-related, as pushing down the clutch does not stop the noise.

I would check the alt belt or bearing squirt a little WD40 in that area if the noise disapears you found the problem. If not could be the timimg belt tensioner bearing. But start the car open the bonnet & listen for the noise, a long screwdriver can be placed on parts of the engine and place your ear on the handle to pinpoint it.

Back