General Clicking noise when starting car, not turning over

Currently reading:
General Clicking noise when starting car, not turning over

craigjsmith

Help.....

I went out to my car the other day after being away for two weeks and went to start the car... I turned the key and all i got was a clicking noise and the engine wasn't even trying to start...

We bump started it and when it started i had no power steering and ABS light and engine management light were on.... So once i fought with no power steering to get it back in the drive way and shut it down it would not start again... Still having the clicking and no life.... :(

Help, i don't want to have to take this to a dealership to get an expensive fix.... I'm hoping its something fairly straight forward?

I am grateful for any help on this..... .
Craig

You tested the battery? Get someone to try jump start it and then get it checked after good run. As just bump starting just gives enough power to start car that's about it. Could even jump start and let it charge on idle but not recommended by fiat to warm car up this way. Could also be negative terminal on battery or that same wire somewhere between battery to gearbox. That's first thing should check. Could even check starter fuse but more likely battery than fuse. If battery turns out fine get the alternator checked. If got access to multiecuscan then when car running should be able select ECU and see what voltage alternator is giving off.

Could if you got one, use a battery charger to charge car battery. It will have a indicator to tell you when the battery is charged. Then try start car. If starts fine then give it a really good run. This may help you without getting new battery. If starts then after good run and starts playing up again then may need get new battery.

Last edited:
Get a multimeter and check that the battery is giving 12v (engine off) would be the first thing I would do, it sounds like it's dead. Then, as above, get it jump started (not bump started) and leave to idle for 30 mins at least, check that you're getting approx 14.5v with the engine running. Try restarting after 30 mins and you should (hopefully) be OK. If not, as above, check earth cables as something may have corroded.

Thanks for the pointers, I will check the earthing etc when i get home and see if that gets me any closer to sorting this issue out....... Ill keep you updated....
Thanks again
Craig

to summarise the above

your battery is dead and needs a charge

2 weeks is a long time to leave a punto and they soon run the battery down even in cold weather, they are also very power-hungry when running so unless you give it a good off the car charge with a proper battery charger, you are likely to see continuous problems with the power steering and not starting

Taken from my fiat gp manual. Just in case you decide to charge battery. Personally in past I've completely disconnected my battery to prevent damage to the cars electronics if charging with charger.

Attachments

• 1416922405733.jpg
    1416922405733.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,268
If the battery was flat, then jump starting and running for a few minutes is not enough to charge the battery back up again.
A flat battery would need a good few hours of decent running to put a good charge back in, or at least 12 hours on a battery charger.
Starting the car with jump leads and running for a few minutes is not enough.

Like Eklipze3k states, you can test this yourself at home.

Jump start the car.
The voltage reading across the battery with the car running at 1500 rpm should produce about 14.5v.
If it does, then you know the alternator is good, and the fault in all likelyhood (after being stood for two weeks at this time of year), is going to be a faulty battery.

Unfortunately, it's not all about volatage where the battery is concerned, it's more to do with output.
So while a battery may show 11.5v or 12v, if it doesn't have the ampage, then the car won't start.
Imagine stringing together 8 x AA Duracels. This would produce 12v, but it's never going to start a car.

If you can borrow a charger, put the battery on charge over night, at least 12 -16 hours. If the car starts in the morning, then it's pretty conclusive that the battery is dieing on you.

Halfords/ATS/QuickFit etc will test and fit you a replacement reasonably.

How old is the car, an OEM battery would only really expect to last about 5 to 7 years at the most. A pattern one maybe a little less.

If the car is a 2008 or older and still on the original battery, then that's another consideration towards it being the battery.

Expect to pay no more than about £50 - £60 for a replacement.

Last edited:
I paid think was 40 for a diesel/Petrol over 1.2 below 2.5 charger at halfords last year. Works great an got a indicator on as well

Back