Cleaning oil spill from driveway

Currently reading:
Cleaning oil spill from driveway

oldmanhouse

Can anyone recommend a product that can remove an engine oil stain from an asphalt driveway? The stain is a few days old at this point, and the hot weather might have baked it now :(

I've tried everything in the cleaning cupboard (Bicarb + vinegar, all purpose cleaner, bleach spray, oven cleaner) followed by a pressure wash... but think I might need to bring out some big guns!

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a product that can remove an engine oil stain from an asphalt driveway? The stain is a few days old at this point, and the hot weather might have baked it now :(

I've tried everything in the cleaning cupboard (Bicarb + vinegar, all purpose cleaner, bleach spray, oven cleaner) followed by a pressure wash... but think I might need to bring out some big guns!
Just a note of caution don't use petrol/ parafin/ jizer/ gunk / white spirit
Any of those or like those will dissolve the tar in the asphalt causing a major major problem.

repeated use of washing up liquid is safe.

Good luck

Just a note of caution don't use petrol/ parafin/ jizer/ gunk / white spirit
Any of those or like those will dissolve the tar in the asphalt causing a major major problem.

repeated use of washing up liquid is safe.

Good luck

Thanks, I was going to try white spirit so glad you mentioned it! I will try repeated applications of washing up liquid and another simple degreaser for the moment

Cat litter. (Basically same stuff as workshop oil spill granules)
The dry grey clay stuff, not any plant-based or organic stuff.
Sprinkle the granules over the stain, leave. (Not too much at a time, don't want to encourage local cats)
Walk over it whenever possible.
After a week, brush it off, stain should be less. Repeat.
The white/light grey stain you've now created will disappear slowly.

Cat litter. (Basically same stuff as workshop oil spill granules)
The dry grey clay stuff, not any plant-based or organic stuff.
Sprinkle the granules over the stain, leave. (Not too much at a time, don't want to encourage local cats)
Walk over it whenever possible.
After a week, brush it off, stain should be less. Repeat.
The white/light grey stain you've now created will disappear slowly.
I had a tub of oil absorbent granules for spills......unfortunately my lovely little darling cat found it and decided it was far superior to her tray!

I spilled a load of gear oil when the bottle spout slipped off. What a stinky mess that was. I got up as much as possible with rags then scattered biological washing powder over the stains and scrubbed it in with a stiff yard brush. Leave a few hours and hose off. Repeat a few times and finally leave some powder to be dealt with by rain water.

The concrete surface could now do with the same treatment all over as the cleaned area is so much - erm - cleaner. There is no gear oil smell and the concrete does not look contaminated.

OK I know this thread was originally about an asphalt surface but I have a light 'Cotswold stone' block-paved driveway and was mortified when I got black oil on the blocks.

my neighbour swears by that Eco-Egg stain remover spray and said she'd give it a try.

To my utter amazement the black oil-stain has now completely gone - it took several applications of the stain remover, blotting it up with kitchen roll.

I remain utterly amazed that stuff got it out

Maybe that pink stuff from the annoying TV adverts would also work. TBH, I was surprised how well ordinary biological powder did the job.

Back