Technical Cleaning EGR and DPF

Currently reading:
Technical Cleaning EGR and DPF

My 2011 Qubo, have done 118.000 km. Its the 1.3 Multijet Diesel.
I suspect its been mostly shorter rides, so i thought cleaning the EGR and DPF would be a good idea.

EGR i want to remove and clean with carb cleaner.
DPF i bought a can of special cleaning foam, that should be squirted into the DPF.

Any tips on how to easiest remove the EGR? I suspect its sitting, in the right side of the engine, underneath air filter etc.?

And for the DPF, im a bit confused, as i thought my car should have a CAT as well. But I only see 2 boxes on the exhaust.
Is the CAT and DPF built in the same unit? If so, what sensor would you remove, in order to squirt the foam into the DPF?

Pictures below if my engine bay, and exhaust system.

Attachments

• PXL_20230719_071524715.jpg
    PXL_20230719_071524715.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 232
  • PXL_20230719_071734311.jpg
    PXL_20230719_071734311.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 74
  • Exhaust.JPG
    Exhaust.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20230719_071714527.jpg
    PXL_20230719_071714527.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20230719_071807671.jpg
    PXL_20230719_071807671.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20230719_071837206.jpg
    PXL_20230719_071837206.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 68
Looking more closely at the DPF/CAT? Box, there is really only 2 places, that would make sense to squirt in the foam.

1. Temperature sensor thing (Lambda?)
2. Pressure sensor before DPF i guess

Also there is another pressure sensor at the bottom, so i suspect that measures pressure after DPF.

Attachments

• DPF.JPG
    DPF.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 36
I used airosol egr cleaner which you squirt into the air intake pipe (air filter removed)
This stuff needs to be used with care as it can cause the ngine to lock up solid if overdone as I found out. The way to do it is very short squirts into the air flow and then allow the engine idle speed to settle and repaet until the can is exhausted or the correct anount used.

Im not sure about DPF foam and dont like the sound of it. MES will allow DPF cleaning which is done by engine running (probably overfuelled) at high revs for about 5 minutes. This raises the temperature of teh DPF to 850C which seems to do the job. However other than this ask U Tube how to and see what it throws out. If several give the same suggestion it will probably work.

I used airosol egr cleaner which you squirt into the air intake pipe (air filter removed)
This stuff needs to be used with care as it can cause the ngine to lock up solid if overdone as I found out. The way to do it is very short squirts into the air flow and then allow the engine idle speed to settle and repaet until the can is exhausted or the correct anount used.

Im not sure about DPF foam and dont like the sound of it. MES will allow DPF cleaning which is done by engine running (probably overfuelled) at high revs for about 5 minutes. This raises the temperature of teh DPF to 850C which seems to do the job. However other than this ask U Tube how to and see what it throws out. If several give the same suggestion it will probably work.
I have read quit alot of reviews and YT videos about the foam DPF cleaner. It should work :)

But for the EGR i would rather do it manually, because i think that carbon build up needs a toothbrush and some carb cleaner.

Just seems like its a pain in the ass to remove the EGR 😅

I have read quit alot of reviews and YT videos about the foam DPF cleaner. It should work :)

But for the EGR i would rather do it manually, because i think that carbon build up needs a toothbrush and some carb cleaner.

It is it's burried at the back of the engine on the right hand Side on most cars it means removing the bolts but touch only as they sent visible

Found this YT video today:

Its in Turkish, so i dont understand anything. But it shows the entire process of removing air filter box, EGR pipe and throttle body.
I guess that would be good to follow, and then its should be just a couple more bolts, to remove the actual EGR body as well.

Todays progress before it started raining..

- Airfilter box off
- Throttle body off (caked in carbon)

Next step
- EGR pipe
- EGR valve

All the bolts for the EGR is still a PITA! even with all this off.

Attachments

• PXL_20230720_123438451.jpg
    PXL_20230720_123438451.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20230720_123426792.jpg
    PXL_20230720_123426792.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20230720_121502730.jpg
    PXL_20230720_121502730.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20230720_122135214.jpg
    PXL_20230720_122135214.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20230720_121441273.jpg
    PXL_20230720_121441273.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 62

My experience is cleaning is hit and miss. I'd go for a new one. On my Nravo it was cheaper for the delaer to fit a Fiat part than to buy one from eBay! And oyu are right it is a PITA to change these things. It wouldnt be so bad if all this emissions stuff did what it said on the tin and we hadnt been hoodwinked into paying for stuff that did not deliver what the car makers said it did!!! Not that Im recommending mydieselclaim.com but they have said they are hoping to pay out something in the next few months.

Left the car with battery off over night. Reconnected and tried starting this morning.
Engine did start for about 5-10 sec, and then died again.

Did some Googling around. Is there any chance, that carbon crud could have fell into the engine, while removing the EGR pipe, and this could be the reason? Engine seems to be turning fine.

Left the car with battery off over night. Reconnected and tried starting this morning.
Engine did start for about 5-10 sec, and then died again.

Did some Googling around. Is there any chance, that carbon crud could have fell into the engine, while removing the EGR pipe, and this could be the reason? Engine seems to be turning fine.
Not that would stop all 4 cylinders.. ;-)

I suspect you have a sensor that is blocking the running..

Are you definitely hearing the fuel pump with key at MAR ?

So there is a whiny/humming noise comming from the EGR throttle valve.

Stops when i disconnect it.

Dont know if it makes that sound normally?

Attachments

• PXL_20230721_082331566.jpg
    PXL_20230721_082331566.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 34
--> Update <--

Car is running! Spoke with a mechanic i know, and he listend through the phone.
He sugessted to just keep runinng the starter, becuase it sounded like it might be "drowned" or what something.

Ran the starter for 1 min or so, and then the engine started, and the engine fault light went off.

Immediately took it for a 30 min spin, making sure to hit some higher revs, to get it fully up to temp.

Everything seems good! I will try and make a post here, with pictures, of the whole EGR remove/cleaning process.

Think the DPF will have to wait for another day.

Made my first guide for the forum, showing the process of removing EGR etc.
Entire process is described here: Qubo EGR cleaning guide

The actual EGR valve was not that bad, and didnt have to much buildup. Probaly wouldnt remove that, if i knew.
But the EGR pipe was 100% blocked with carbon buildup, and the throttle body had like 0,5-1 cm of build up all around.

Screenshot 2023-07-24 13.29.45.png

This was only half of it:
Screenshot 2023-07-24 13.30.08.png

Did it do any good for the car. Well, I have no data, so cant say for sure.

But from pure feeling, i would say that idle is more smooth and throttle response seems a bit better.

So glad to see this post and guide. I've wanted to do my EGR for a while but couldn't find any good videos/guides so thank you.

Re: DPF cleaner, if your dpf is mounted vertically in front of the engine like mine (also 2011 so should be the same) take the temp sensor out of the front of the dpf, poke the straw of the foam cleaner into it and use an old rag to bung up the sensor hole around the straw, otherwise the foam will just spew out of the hole. spray in bursts and move the straw around a bit. Leave the foam to sit in there for a bit, I can't remember what the can said but I think I left it for at least half an hour.
You might want to only use half the can, give it a thrash to get the crud out and then use the second half of the can a week later.
If you fancy the challenge, removing the dpf and using DPF Off cleaner liquid will give a much better clean. I have't done this but I might have to sometime as I think mine is getting blocked up as when I do a foam cleaner it feels much better.

Back