Technical cinquecento cooling fan doesn't cut in early enough

Currently reading:
Technical cinquecento cooling fan doesn't cut in early enough

i have recently had problems with my cinq overheating in traffic and have eliminated everything apart from the cooling fan switch. can any1 tell me how to test is as i tried putting it in boiling water and testing the resistance on the pins with a multimeter with no effect to the switch activating.

The switch should be open-circuit when cold, and fairly rapidly go to zero resistance once the water gets hot enough. If it doesn't go zero-resistance then you need a new switch. If it does then it's probably OK. What did yours do?

I've exactly this problem on our 1.1 Sporting. Temp creeps up while stationary, water level in expansion tank rises and comes out of cap. Running engine at 2000 rpm, the water level lowers and the fan comes on. I intend replacing the water pump, I read somewhere that the vanes of the pumps corrode away so the pumping action becomes ineffective.

Vic

I have the exact same problem. I attached a switch to the fan cable so I'm on manual now. :D Bought a new switch (the one that goes to the radiator) but I haven't installed it yet. I noticed that the exhaust manifold is very close to the radiator (mine about 5 cm , a friend of mine's somewhat more) and the place you plug the ventilators cable to the switch on the radiator so I wa think that it might have something to do with the heat problems. Maybe even disrupt the function of the switch? I have already checked for thermostat problems and the ventilator works fine also I checked for parts of the radiator that may be getting no coolant. Everything else seems to be in order so apart from the water pump the only solution i can think is a new heat switch ( or whatever it's name is :yuck:; the one that you plug the ventilator cable in). I wonder if insulating the exhaust manifold is a good idea. Well, is it?

I have a cinq and it dont overheat at idle but as soon as i turn the engine off the water gushes out the header tank and i dont know wat to do!!!!!!!! please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

same on mine on idle no pressure heating stops working a quick blip of the throttle fixes it though... check for clogs the rad could be blocked stopping proper coolent flow also thus not allowing the temp to raise inside the rad only the head of the engine where the sensor is

same on mine on idle no pressure heating stops working a quick blip of the throttle fixes it though... check for clogs the rad could be blocked stopping proper coolent flow also thus not allowing the temp to raise inside the rad only the head of the engine where the sensor is

Sounds like you have the old 899 Cinq with tired water pump syndrome.

I have a cinq and it dont overheat at idle but as soon as i turn the engine off the water gushes out the header tank and i dont know wat to do!!!!!!!! please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If running the heater fan with the controls on hot helps... and you are being cooked... dont worry about being cooked.
If the coolant is black and horrible try a proprietary rad flush compound, then garden hose in header tank, with bottom hose detached, if it is a 899 then replacing the water pump, if you dont know its age, is not a bad idea.
Replace the header tank cap as well.

Noel

Just had a similar problem with my Seicento.

Overheating and the fan not coming on until I'd turned the car off. It's resulted (so I'm led to believe) in the cylinder head gasket blowing. Now I'm getting quoted silly prices to repair the car. (n)

Sue

Back