General Cinq7540, the start (31-10-10).

Currently reading:
General Cinq7540, the start (31-10-10).

cinq7540

From Theory to pratice, the project begins,

The start; Cinq, N reg, 48.000, Service histoty (near complete), 2 owners (from same family), completly standard, purchased from work, known owner 5 years. All in all good condition just the expected wear and tear marks any 15 year old, daily commute would have.

So here we go purchased as a sensible, cheap, economical run about or did I. Was very quickly impressed with the nippy little thing and amazed by the fine handling puts my lowered Calibra to shame. Was keen to improve these attributes, so the research began resulting on me finding this site, so no need to look any further, all I need to know in one happy friendly site, HAPPY DAYS!!.

The plan to 'Mod the beast' with purposeful modifiacations improving the drive-ability of the vehicle, trying to improve its already suprising attributes handling and low down grunt, used so much more in every day driving rather than outright BHP. This wkend the plan began; fitting a P75(866) cam and Mckrich ECU. This was made easier by the helpful info on FF and most importantly by the great help from MARIOCINQ a true legend and top chap!!!!(y)
Also purchased OE throttle body, all I need to do now is send it away to be machiened and larger butterfly fitted. Then to save the pennies for the 'Super Sprint Manifold' and finally induction, just need to make my mind up on what is the best route uprated panel filter, induction kit (viper, KandN Typhoon). Or should I fabricate it myself?
Now sending throttle body off, update soon, or hopefully soon ;)
Once again big, big, big thanks to MARIOCINQ
icon4.gif

Happy days, been driven it now for a couple of days with the new mods, cant believe the difference!!!

Next plan 40mm, a little stuck now, spoke with David the other day about having OE bored out. So bought spare OE TB but on further investigation dose not look like the casting is big enough to bore??? have come across the mention of sleves but cant find post also cant find the post advertising Davids services on boring TB's rather stuck at the mo' is there anyone who can help, do I have to buy a 36mm and if so what car are they from or does anyone know of anyone that bore/sleves OE cinq TB's.

Afternoon Peps,
well spare TB bought! happy days. Will send to David at the end of month to have bored and sleved. Was then thinking about induction, have read alot about on past Threads but still not 100% on what to do. To be honest from what I have read an uprated panel filter rather than full on induction kit , sound the better route. Was thinking maybe taking of the hot feed(from exhaust) and fabricating a couple of trumpets on both feeds into the bumper, has anyone any experience of this idea. Once above is completed then onto the 1242's(reminds me of big boring the old 50cc bike!) but still undercided on what route, 1242 SPI straight swap the easy route, or is it worth the extra work?hassle to go MPI. Once again g=have read alot about both and sorry to bring up this much covered subject!! But has anyone got any tips/idea's what is the best route. Then finaly SS manifold but thats the easy bit, straight of the shelf just one hell of a price to pay. £280 fot the S/Sprint any one now a cheaper route, once again read posts on this especialy the P75 E/Manifold is that really worth doing and how dose that compare to the mega expensive S/.Sprint? Once again sorry for all the questions on such old much covered subjeects!!! New to this again so help much appreciated!!!!
Regards.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
john ashley are very good. they are who made the whole system for the turbo cinq, they spent all day on it and cost nearly half the price of one of them crap back road exhaust builders wanted (altho is was mates rates as it was within the motorsport club)

anyway for the throttle body... how much you paying to have a 40mm made?
if its a lot (more then 80) then id find a punto 75 tb and spend a hour with Mr dremel.
I found the punto 75 tb to be much better then the 40mm tb as its just a tad to big.
the 75tb is 37mm if i remember.

look in my blog

hi,
cheers for your replies, much appreciated!

Will def go for the Asheley Mani looks the part. To be honest was thinking that 40mm was a little big myself, with regards to costs a chap on here(notTricker) was going to do the work at a very resonable price. But after your reply P75 sounds a good bet, also I like the thought of sticking with OE fiat as much as poss just a little more piece of mind, I view power fairly equal to reliabilty as the car is my daily runabout. With regards to moding the P75 TB is there any guides as it is'nt something I have much nowledge/experience of. So with my intentions as above what are your thoughts on sticking with Larger TB and SPI or should I go the little extra effort and change to MPI?

Once again many thanks for all your helpfull comments, Regards KC

if your changing to mpi get the punto 75 head and bolt it straight on. splice injector wires togeather so the four go to one.

while your there might aswell just go for a 1242 as the bottom end would be a easy swap out.

4-2-1 manifold side. get a 1242 supersprint if you see one, it will fit the 1.1 aswell just sit 10mm lower down at the bottom so a flexi would be needed for a 1.1

hi again,
just re-read as I say all new to me. Ming def' intrested in the GSR private mess; me and we can argue/debate a price. Craig will have to have a good look at your blog and try and find some info' on TB's. As to fitting MPI of course I would be fitting the whole engine if I went down that route, not just the head now that would be silly. As to fitting the P75 MPI is it really woth the extra effort? in real world driving will there be much more of a difference than if I went the simple route and fitted the P60? Is there any guides on here to fitting engines as I've said before this is all new to me and computers and me do that really mix, so if ther is any info' could someone add the link plesae.

Once agian a BIG BIG thanks to all the help really is much appreciated!!!!

Thank you and kindest regards, KC>

Can I back this up one or two paces, please.

I would contend, with the voice of experience, that taking a P60 engine, stripping it and carefully rebuilding it, will give better results than flinging a used P75 in.

All of these engines are going to be used, and possibly abused. They were built cheaply in the first place.

It will be a good way to learn about engines, and once built, a P60 is the easiest to put in.

Cheers

D

i concur with rallycinq. however if your up for the challange a carefully rebuild punto 75 will be more lively than a carefully rebuilt standard punto 60. although id say more mods are out there for the 60 and overall you can run higher figures.

ie. mines running 80-85bhp from a punto 60.

easier to find a p60 engine in better starting point then a p75 which are rare.
wouldnt bother with the mpi unless you need it (turbo etc)
iirc even rallycinq has spi on hes car with an aftermarket ecu. wont gain anything from mpi other then the hassel of 3 more injectors and a lot more wiring to go wrong.
ALL mpi does it help emissions due to better fuel distribution.

do as rallycinq said... get a 1242 that is as good as you can get and rebuild it.
also remember low mileage does not mean its good.
a engine that is 6+years old with a few K on it has most likely been a shopping or school run car meaning lots of cold running.

my latest engine that i got VERY cheap (bought just as a spare) had over 100k on it. and yet turned out to be internally the best ive had! (must of lived on the motorway)
rebuilt it and fitted it and its smoother then any of the others ive ran!

cheers Craig, will make that my plan then. Totaly understand what you mean, normal/high miler well serviced and looked after is a lot better engine than something 14 years old with 20k, owned by the little old lady who goes to the shop and post office once a week. Will find my self the best P60 I can and get to work, what about the exhaust planing on buyint the Ashley Mani so will that bolt up on my OE cinq sport exhaust or will I have to make a spacer. Def' dont want to change to much of the exhaust apart from Mani. A really lound Cinq is not my thing at all plus dont like the added attetion, prop not worth much performance wise for the £'S. The whole idea of my plan is for purposefull Mods and try to have my self a little sleeper.

Good afternoon All,
Here we go new month=new part for the beast.

Will be posting TB this week, to have bored and polish (38.5mm) will keep you informied. Really looking forward to this one heard some good reviews.

As always there are some questions, will I have to buy new gaskets or is it cheaper to make myself? and finaly(honest) whats the best thing to do with the spacer, have spare TB so car will not have to be of the road but forgot to get spare spacer. As read from previous threads this needs to be enlarged to if not will defeat the whole purpose. So whats your thoughts, should I just buy a new one and send with my TB.

regards, KC>

hi, cant really send spacer with TB, as need the car for work(have spare TB)
could i enlarge spacer with dremmel?????
regards.

Back