Technical cinq Sporting handbrake

Currently reading:
Technical cinq Sporting handbrake

sandym

I have a problem locating a replacement handbrake cable for my cinq Sporting. I think it is one of the last before the seicento and may be a hybrid Chassis is ZFA17000001148612.
The only cable on offer from the dealers is 46517955, but the floor bracket fitting is different, being under-and-over; mine is side by side on seperate brackets with the cable running in a semicircular channel pierced by the lever link bolt. Is this a seicento cable?
To gain any braking at all, I have had to pack the mount with nuts to shorten the outer.
Anyone any ideas?
Thanks, Sandym

Yes you are correct the later Cinqs which feature a few modifications that when then carried over to the Seicentos, one vent at bottom of windscreen , different stalks, optional airbag, and the handbrake, I've seen the different part numbers on eper before and your dealer should be able to find the different apart number no problem, if not they are not looking hard enough, maybe someone on here with access to eper will look it up for you.

that chasis number matches that part number for handbrakes. i don't know enough about the hand brakes on cinqs and seis to comment on how each one is set up thugh.

No quibbles with the above: it does sound like a Sei cable.

But

To gain any braking at all, I have had to pack the mount with nuts to shorten the outer.

sounds either like an issue with shoe wear or adjustment. While bowden cables do stretch, they stretch by very, very little. Trust me: this is a shoe, elbow linkeage or adjustment issue. I suspect that -- if the operating linkeage is OK -- then the shoes will be below their wear limit.

was going to say check the shoes first. unless you've been doing a lot of handbrake turns the cable shouldnt be stretched to the point where it needs changing. my girlfriend's sister's hadbrake wouldn't adjust tight enough so i replaced the cable and it was exactly the same, even though the pads had at least 5mm left on them. i used a few nuts with slits cut in them to take up some more slack and its worked fine ever since so you could just leave it how it is with the nuts as specers till the pads need changing, if they dont already.

Ralf S. said:
Drum brakes have brake cylinders that often fail, so you have to yank the handbrake to Max (and then some) to get them to hold. It's the cylinders you need. They're not dear.

I don't see this: the handbrake is a self contained system -- the only components it shares with the hydraulic brake system are the shoe and the drum........

image001.png

Loooking on ePER for you: the cable 46517955 is the right one for the above handbrake set up...I would say a new set of shoe's would sort you out chap...also have a look at your drums at the same time as on the cinquecento heavy scoring and the tickness of the brake shoes will show up big time at the Handbrake End.
Shop 4 Parts Part Number: S4P167 £11.93 for the cable

Last edited:
Back