General Cinq Abarth Project 1.4 16v

Currently reading:
General Cinq Abarth Project 1.4 16v

Hold up due to Italian August shutdown, all thing Italian have this bottleneck at this time of year because of it.

Ahh someone else waiting for bits from Italy, im waiting for a C&B cam, i dont blame the august shutdown tho, i blame gazzella:)o why i ordered through them i do not know)

8th of may it was ordered and im still sat here waiting:nutter:

Cars looking good:cool: theres a small collection of track cento's being built atm, would be good for all of us in the future to get some track/strip time together

Thanks for feedback, it's getting there, still lots to do.

As much as we would like to help other Cento owners with discounts, unfortunetly can't as it's done through Emma's work.

GPR are good, didn't realise they were still doing road stuff as last time popped up (its only 10min drive at Silverstone Circuit) they had sold off all there road car stuff and were concentraiting on Karts and race car stuff. Worth a try though.

Aaron.

are you going too put a banging donk on it aaron? donk as in turbo eventually? :D

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

At present it's not in our thoughts, first get it running and set up, get some miles on it as the engine, gearbox, LSD diff, suspension etc are all new, so all need run in and maybe a few track days to shake down and see what needs changed/adjsuted etc and take it from there, but think the power/weight should make it fun, which is really what is all about.

The furture, who knows, but always liked idea of Rotrex supercharger but not exactly cheap, but may suit the car better with its power delivery, or may end up selling in a few years and get something bigger & more powerful to start with as there comes a point when you realise thats always a better option :)

This bump has reminded me what a good quality project this is.

We will have to get a meet going with all the modified 1.2/1.4 FIRE cars at a trackday next spring/summer. I can't imagine a better trackday scenario! This should be ready by then?

Nice one. What are your plans for the dials - using standard stuff, or going motorsport? Assume with the wheels/tyres the speedo will need some tweaking somewhere, but perhaps that doesn't matter as it is destined for the track?

Got dials/speedo on the brain becuase I am creating mine for the Panda ATM. Always good to hear other people's ideas.

Not updated this for some time now, but here's some progress pictures of the roll-cage being fitted.

Made curved plates to fit to the curved wheel arch but provide a flat surface for cage to bolt to.

90° plates made for the mid-section plates, use of a folding machine helped, made beinding the 3mm thick steel much easier.

The large box section for front section, not easy as floor and sill throws up all sorts of wierd shapes which are different on both sides so can't just mirror everything. Cage has much bigger footprint over OMP cage's I've seen fitted.

Still need to fit cut/shape and fit the door bars and the short bars between the two uprights.

Dashboard has been flocked and is ready to fit once cage position is finalised, front brake callipers need painted and fitted, rears were done ages ago have custom made Earls s/s braided pipes everywhere.

So it's all getting much much closer to completion, I'm sure it will make some car shows/trackdays this year.

02_27_10_010.JPG

02_27_10_011.JPG

02_27_10_013.JPG

02_27_10_015.JPG

02_27_10_016.JPG

All interior trim stays in place, it's very light weight & be pointless replacing with anything else. Plus if you read the new rules for Nurburgring there must be no exposed sections inside cars all panels must be in place otherwise you're not allowed on.

I think most UK tracks will go same way.

Our short-shifter will have less movement than the one in the ebay picture.

One we have moved the actual pivot point further up the gearstick shaft, meaning a shorter fore-and-aft throw to change between gears up and down, but left the normal side-to-side action to prevent wrong gear changes.

We have also removed the third gear cable that is shown in the ebay pic for the reverse inhibitor and made our own hinged inhibitor so it inhibits at the gearstick side, not gearbox side, as it is on MPi Seicento's as standard. You then stick a blanking plug over the 3rd cable hole on the gearbox side as per all later model Fiat's with FIRE gearboxs. It also means one less hole to cut in the bulkhead when running the gear cables through it.

Then we have shortened the gearstick overall, this shortens all movements, fore-and-aft, and side-to-side, but not to short so that it's much closer to the steering wheel so less time between hand moving from steering wheel to the gearstick.

The ebay picture one has the cables in standard positions so the actual movement is no shorter, and it has retained the original reverse inhibitor, so therefore overall length of the gearstick is the same, it will be no quicker than standard as far as I can make out from those pictures. The only differance I can see that ebay one making is moving the gearstick closer to the steering wheel, there will be no improvment in shift quality or speed.

If you have this change I suggest you grind off the pivot on the gear-shaft, and then move it up at least 20mm re-weld it back on, this will greatly reduce fore and aft movements making it a quick shift. Though you will need to modify the box it sits in as the cable will now be higher. Look again at ours, we have used original Cinq box that hangs below the car, brought it inside but fabricated a bracket that sits proud of the box to let the cable sit effectively outside the original box, giving a straight run to the moved pivot point.

Ebay one so you can hopefully see what I mean.

!Bm,OQz!!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-DIEtp)Z0rOHBLfcq5nV7Q~~_12.JPG

!Bm,OOlgBmk~$(KGrHqYH-C4EtsQs0yqHBLfcqyZVI!~~_12.JPG

!Bm,OUdQ!mk~$(KGrHqQH-CQEtbfLK17,BLfcrHBy)!~~_12.JPG

Last edited:
Back