Technical Chrome gear knob cap has come off

Currently reading:
Technical Chrome gear knob cap has come off

redfive

Hope this is a simple one to answer for anyone who's modded their 500 or had to perform a similar repair. Driving to work today, thankfully only a mile from the office, the chrome effect gear knob cap came off in my hand.

Now looking at the underside of the cap there doesn't appear to be any damage, the two plastic tabs on either side are still in place. I'm guessing it's just the adhesive they used around the fixing bolt has dried to the point it became too brittle and came away.

Would I be correct in assuming all I need to do is reapply some adhesive in the same way, making sure to remove as much of the old stuff as I can first?

Any advice appreciated as Enzo's only been in the family a couple of months.

If it matters, it's a 2012 '12 plate Twinair.

Yes you can just stick it back on with adhesive.
They almost always break when removed anyway so gluing it on will be fine and won't really matter if you remove it in future.
Don't put the adhesive around the fixing bolt, just apply to underside of cover.
I have changed the gear knob a couple of times on my Twinair.

Last edited:
Yes you can just stick it back on with adhesive.
They almost always break when removed anyway so gluing it on will be fine and won't really matter if you remove it in future.
Don't put the adhesive around the fixing bolt, just apply to underside of cover.
I have changed the gear knob a couple of times on my Twinair.

Cheers, will give it a go this weekend.

Back