Technical Checking valve clearances

Currently reading:
Technical Checking valve clearances

How difficult is it to check the valve clearances on a 1.2 8v Punto?

The Haynes manual has it as a 4 spanner job, meaning it is difficult to do. I am just wondering why they have described it as that.

I also have an old Mini, on which I have checked the clearances before, and it was a relatively simple job. I can't see what would be so more difficult about doing it on a Punto?

I cant imagine it being that difficult, its a fair simple engine so shouldnt be too much of a problem

Checking gaps is straightforward. What you have to do if one or two shims are in need of replacement is the tricky bit. Ours are still ok at 120k. Haynes talks of special tools to depress the bucket and get the shim out. Many folks invent their own system. I use cable ties in the spark plug holes to hold the valves open on the bike.
Then you have to measure it, do a few sums and find one of the correct thickness. Not a big deal but a bit more fuss than the screws and locknuts I seem to remember on our Mini 850.
In an ideal world you measure them all and then next time you just measure the gap and then you know what you need and might even get to swap some around instead of buying new.
Don't trust the number stamped on the shim. They wear slightly but people have been known to grind them down instead of getting a thinner one.

Last edited:
Back