20151206_145732.jpg

Panda (Classic) Charmanda(er) - mania continued......

Introduction

So having been amused at everyone guessing who have bought Char' I own up, t'was me :nerner:

Obviously having just picked up today I don't really have much to say, but I am a happy bunny. I have many plottings going on in my head as to what to do with it - you'll just have to wait and see what happens in the long term, in the short term gonna pretty much leave it and enjoy panda-life for a bit.

Anyway, everyone like pics over waffling... ;)

Got a lift from Simon in exchange for a full tank of fuel (should have half left still i think lol).
20151206_101121.jpg

Few hours and a pitstop to eat a Subway for brekkie and then.... A wild Charmander appeared :D
20151206_131704.jpg

20151206_125614.jpg

20151206_125630.jpg

Was not the best weather on the drive back but Char' ran faultlessly
12316457_10153087337516566_5347892337586702052_n.jpg

Stopped about halfway home for quick pitstop and to get a pic to share on facebook for all the people guessing what I had bought before it got too dark.
20151206_145721.jpg

20151206_145732.jpg

And finally made it home - was mildly amusing getting out the panda to move my alfa forward a touch and practically stamping a hole through the floor cause its such a light pedal compared to the panda.... I hate to think what it would be like going from panda to suzuki as that is way way way lighter pedals than even the alfa.
20151206_164534.jpg

20151206_164547.jpg

20151206_164616.jpg

All 3 fit on the drive, albeit quite close together.. But the garage is empty and Char' will live in there when not being driven - just couldn't be bothered to move all the cars around after being in the car all day.

edit: Just for info in future, links to previous owners
last owner: Didge3 - thread
owner before last: VmanC - thread
well so far it doesnt work lol..

its power related, i feel i have disturbed something on the panda loom along the way. Whats happening at mo is when i switch ignition to position 1, where normally all the stuff on a switched live would work, lights, interior fan, dash etc would all get power i get nothing. When i crank it it turns over, things seem to work while its cranking so it must be drawing power for that back through the ignition switch from the starter/alternator... i presume, am open as i can be that i dont really do electric lol.

But its something on the car side switched live thats the issue there, i've not really touched any wires really on the car itself so not sure whats going on there - more investigating required.

As a result of that obviously the ecu etc wasnt getting its switched live feed so it wouldnt work. So in the interest of testing, I hooked that straight to live manually. So this allowed me to let the ecu fire up, everything clicks on, pump primes as it should. Connected it to laptop and like that the ecu only reported 2 fault codes, EVAP valve (there isnt one connected so thats fine) and no engine management light (again that wire goes nowhere atm, if you run that through a bulb and back to the battery and turn ecu on again then that goes away too and just the EVAP codes left). So while there went through all the actuators i can, injectors, ICV etc etc, they all appear to work fine.

So in theory, with it jerry-rigged like that it should run right? yes i thought so too lol. So does it have fuel? Its primed loads of times at this point so pull return line off rail to see if there is any fuel there and nothing.. Pull line off rail feed and nothing, compressed air but no fuel... Ran pump straight off battery for a while and still nothing. So thats kinda put an end to play today - at this point it could even just need fuel in the tank so i wasnt gonna mess further snd so thats where i stopped today.

I am pretty sure wiring wise from the point of view of the actual engine swap is fine, just this switched live issue to solve. I have a mystery red wire inside the car, dunno at this point if its a factory wire - its certainly not a new wire but it has a crimp connector at the end and i for the life of me don't know where it came from - sticking my hand up behind the dash i feels like it goes through another crimped butt connector and then possible to the ignition switch. I think this is something to do with it but need to look properly, was getting late and having never taken the column shroud plastic thingy off before i couldnt see how it comes off etc so thats the next mission, i need to workout what that wire is and why i'm not getting power to everything on a switched live. Once I have figured that out and put some petrol in it i'll worry about the pump, it really might just be empty lol.

So spent few hours putting bits and bobs back together, mainly interior bits.

Put the dash all back together, mounted my glitter ball gear knob, bolted down the coupe seats, put the rear bench back in, refitted steering wheel, some plastic trim pieces, took the front speakers out and tidied up a rat's nest of wires, mostly for the stereo that's not there. All little things but needs doing and takes miles longer than you expect it to.

The novelty of driving it out the garage to work on it and then driving it back in felt good though.

Couple of snaps

20180418_173931.jpeg
20180418_173943.jpeg
20180418_180538.jpeg

Things still to do:
Make an intake
Sort the exhaust
Few bits to tidy in bay, reroute some wires and stuff a different way than I have originally
General bolt check as it's been in bits for so long I can't be sure I've tightened everything.
Wash and polish

That's all I can think of right now.

So the fact the tyres on the car are different size front to back has been annoying me from day one. Added to that, the fact the 2 rears are old, cracked and both no longer hold air for more than few days I started looking at tyres online. Which led to me finding a local company that makes custom steel and alloy wheels, mainly for big industrial equipment but also wheels for movie cars. Side note, they made the wheels for FAB1 in the Thunderbirds film.
Anyhow, they don't normally do small scale just few little car wheels but had a chat with them and they are happy to do me some as a one off job.
As such I've decided I'm 100% gonna try use the wellers, so dropped them off today. He said they are massively busy but hopes they'll be ready for me next week. I guess I should try find some money to pay them lol.

Hopefully Sunday should see Si come and help me sort an exhaust. I really need to buy a welder and start learning as it's so often a hurdle for me to overcome.
The finish line draws ever closer!

Well a good old car day sunday funday today.

Si popped over with a welder, we drank cups of tea and discussed far far too many different ways of chopping and welding a couple of pipes together lol. In end we went for chop it about there, weld it across here and bobs your aunties uncle it fit first try ?
Didn't put back box on cause for 1 we hadn't put any gaskets on for mockup and 2 would have had to pull the car out the garage and that involves moving stuff and musical cars. But basically exhaust is sorted, I might just clean it up a touch and put some vht black paint on it and the manifold before I bolt everything down for last time though.

Forgot to take any pics but it's nothing exciting really though. Luke sent me few he took though.

received_10160297510430253.jpeg
received_10160297510230253.jpeg
received_10160297510150253.jpeg

Swap the Adidas sambas for some sandals and your there I think lol. I get told I look like Jesus sometimes too... It's a good look [emoji106]

Anyhow, this arrived
20180501_115228.jpeg

So yeah I decided it needs to have a black exhaust to show off them copper finished exhaust nuts i got lol. It's Mrs Blu's birthday today though so no panda playing today.
superthumb.jpeg

Not heard from the people doing wheels yet, getting slightly excited about them now. I guess I should order some tyres really.

Think that's the stuff I used for manifold and exhaust. Manifold has lasted pretty well but it all flaked off the exhaust. Some good progress there though, one of these days I'll get off my backside and recommission one - as of yesterday I don't actually have a car on the road at all:(

Still waiting for last few bits to turn up to finish this off.
Said things being a silicone joiner and a bit of pipe for the intake, new tyre valves and the tyres themselves.

New exhaust hangers arrived so can fit the exhaust, not that I couldn't before but the hangers were really old and cracked so decided to replace
20180507_020723.jpeg

The filter itself has arrived..
20180508_105647.jpeg

It looks diddly but spoken to K&N and they assure me it can support upto 103hp so it's good for this application [emoji6]

So I think once all that's arrived, which should be this week, I just need to fit them and do the bolt check and it's done. Bar a good wash and polish obviously.

One simple intake fitted, actually looks better than I thought it would tbh.
20180514_113339.jpeg

Had a look around for loose bolts and nuts, found quite a few, but only a couple that I had actually forgotten I needed to tighten.
Let him actually warm up properly, here is actual video evidence lol

[ame]https://youtu.be/eKjzPZ-_MkM[/ame]

It went well, but the top rad hose leaked as soon as stat opened, but hey proof the stat is working lol. So let it cool down, had some lunch and stuck the wellers on, well 2 at least.
20180514_123813.jpeg
20180514_130602.jpeg

Sorted top hose, topped off coolant and started again. And I can report it runs upto temp, fan still kicks in and cycles and it doesn't overheat sat idling. Put other 2 wheels on while it was running.

Drove it up and down the road couple of times, all seems well. Wheels aren't catching, at slow speeds at least. It goes and stops and isn't leaking any fluids from anywhere.

Chilling with his younger bro in the sun. Damn I really like these wheels!
20180514_153229.jpeg
20180514_153134.jpeg
20180514_153143.jpeg
20180514_153218.jpeg
20180514_153206.jpeg
20180514_153156.jpeg

And also it fires straight up when hot too which I've had issue with on few injection fires over the years.
[ame]https://youtu.be/KglKNDoyJVY[/ame]

Few little unimportant niggles to address, some lights not working but probably just bulbs, I've not looked yet. Interior fan not working, again not looked, could even have forgotten the plug. Or it's something to do with the bundle of wires I cut out the dash [emoji23] [emoji23] . A job for another day but for now he's tucked up back in garage, few days off cars to hang out with baby now I think. But more updates soon I promise.

Last edited:
yeah or i've plain not put a bulb in, they've all been off at some point too lol.

not everything does actually work, didnt go through everything but the interior fan wasnt working either.. I'll figure them all out, could be to do with all the wires i pulled out from behind the dash in a, if im honest, haphazard manner of just cutting and ripping bits out that just looked un-needed lol. But equally could just be that i failed to put some plugs in switches when putting dash on.. Minor little issues ;)

Will have a look in a few days, been outside last few days and want to hang out with my daughter a bit more for few days now. So whats left, well look at these few little electrical issues and i guess clean it, sort bumpers properly before fitting up the new number plates. Think thats it in terms of getting it ready for an MOT, everything else can wait til after.

Well i guess i should update this, been ages.

So finally got around to restoring the bumpers with this Forever Black stuff i ordered many moons ago after seeing some videos and reading some reviews.
It comes with a bottle of cleaner and a bottle of restorer - you use the cleaner to strip any traces of oil and silicone residues so the restorer can work properly, the restorer is an actual black dye which you just apply with the supplied foam pad, give it 15-20 mins to seep in and dry and your done. I did 2 coats to to make sure I had a nice even coating and gotta say I am super happy with the results!!

This is the stuff, got it off Amazon
20180802_133154.jpg

Front bumper after using the cleaner, which tbh just alone made it look miles better than it was.
20180802_123747.jpg

And after using the restorer.
20180802_132646.jpg

Having done that i could finally fit the new numberplates I also bought what seems like an age ago. Went for a set of pressed plates with holders.
20180802_134519.jpg
20180802_134903.jpg

What else has happened.... Oh yes, I cleaned the bit of sound deadening that goes across back of the engine bay - no pic atm i'm afraid so you'll just have to believe me that it looks amaze also. Sprayed all over with strong foaming degreaser, agitated with a brush and then jetwashed out. It also looks almost brand new - I highly recommend this as tidies up the bay no end.

My little girl, Edie, has also met Charmander finally - no need for these but just humour me as I'm very proud of my cute little bean.
20180731_143256.jpg
20180803_181013.jpg

Which leads me onto these lights that don't work.
So there was a few bulbs that needed replacing, and some connections were just a bit wobbly and loose - sorted them no problems. But I am left with headlights that don't work and I openly admit these have got me a little stumped. All the lights work apart form dipped beam, all the rear lights work including fog and reverse, all the indicators work, the side lights work and full beam works but no dipped beam.
I've spent far too many hours trying to get them to work now with no joy - which is mildly annoying being that in theory I've not touched this circuit at all since I last drove it and they worked then.

My wiring doesnt seem to match any wiring diagram exactly which is adding to the confusion. And even wires that do seem to match don't seem to be doing what i expect looking at the diagrams. An example would be the wires on the back of the headlight switch, there is 4 wires and on the diagram the green/yellow should go live when teh switch is in position 2 to turn the headlights on - however, that wire goes 12v live as soon as you turn the ignition on - and the fact that goes live, again according to the diagram, means the headlights should be on if we just ignore for a second it shouldnt even have 12v on it lol.
Anyhoo, been trying to follow the circuits around the car and figure out whats going on and I have a question for you good knowledgeable panda people. My car has halogen bulbs for the headlights, which isnt standard as far as i know. And it also has a relay on the fusebox that I dont think is factory either and I'm thinking someone at some point has put this relay in to power the lights - I only noticed this relay yday right before i decided to leave it for the evening and have dinner. So can anyone tell me if the relay pictured is normally there cause according to my haynes the only time there would be one there is in a selecta - its top right slot of the fusebox and its the same type of relay that runs the heated rear screen. (sorry the pics are a bit crap)
20180803_195318.jpg
20180803_195332.jpg

EDIT: Just another thought.. here are my wires on back of the headlight switch - I dont recall ever taking these off but maybe i have - the plug being missing and the crimp connectors is proof someone has been messing here at some point, not something I have done... But are these in the right place?
Pins on the switch are labelled D, C, B, A from left to right in that pic and wires are:
D - Blue with red trace
C - Blue with yellow trace
B - Green with yellow trace
A - Red with black trace
20180803_190138.jpg

Also, By my reckoning my switch doesnt work properly so if anyone has one they know works they can post me asap it'd be great appreciated :)

Last edited:
Back