Technical Charging a 2017 Tipo Battery with Stop/Start Unavailable error

Currently reading:
Technical Charging a 2017 Tipo Battery with Stop/Start Unavailable error

daz_racing

Hi,

Wasn't using my car much during lockdown and after a recent trip out the other day, when I came to start the car, it immediately beeped and came up with Stop/Start Unavailable - Check Engine message. Car is running ok despite the error message. Stop/Start has always worked intermittently in the past, but that seems to be the norm 'cos there are so many variables involved.

Tested the battery and it's a bit low, and after much reading on this forum, I think this seems to suggest that the battery being a bit low is probably causing the error message?

The battery might be on it's last legs being over 4 years old, but having a Stop/Start system, I thought getting a Ring RSC808 Smart Charger for the job would be a good investment.

Then I got out the handbook and it has a ridiculously small postage stamp sized photo with numbered pointers and the text says; "To recharge, proceed as follows: Disconnect the connector 1 (pressing button 2) from the sensor (3) monitoring the battery conditions, on the negative pole (-) 4 of the battery..."

So, in my photo, which is the sensor monitoring the battery - is it the one labelled A or B? It would seem that B is the only one of the two that has a button as described in the manual but it can't really be made out in the joke of a photo from the manual?

Any pointers greatly appreciated...

Attachments

• IMG_20210923_145722.jpg
    IMG_20210923_145722.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 299
  • Screenshot 2021-09-23 195656.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-09-23 195656.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 126
So, recharged without a hitch and the battery is fully charged, BUT the Stop/Start error is still displaying on the dash.

Is this:
a) Something that needs resetting and I can do it?
b) Something a dealership needs to reset?
or c) Something more sinister and I need to take it to the local dealership to be checked out?

Thanks...

I think it takes a while for it to settle down after the battery gets low. I used to switch s/s off for a while after a charge then when it was turned back on it returned to normal. Fiat s/s and their electrical systems have always been a bit quirky?

Thanks... I took it for a slow drive around the block. I was a bit concerned it might cut out on me 'cos it's still got the error displayed. It probably needs a decent run; like you say, to settle down a bit.

Back