Croma changing air mass meter

Currently reading:
Croma changing air mass meter

scottybhoy77

I have a.1.9 jtd eleganza croma which my local garage tells me has a faulty air mass meter which will cost between 4 and 500 to replace.iv checked prices online and can get a bosch replacement for under 200. Is this an easy job to do yourself ?

it looks pretty easy.i take it i still have to get someone with a diagnostic computer to clear the fault ?

Assuming that the fault is the MAF itself, then the ECU should automatically clear the fault after a few runs with the new sensor fitted.

Keep an eye on eBay, I found a brand new Bosch one that someone had bought in error for under £40! I did the same when looking for an egr valve! :D

When garage cleared the fault they an air mass management fault.cheers for that anyway ordering one today.with the maf disconnected it seems to be running fine....is this normal ?

If your car runs without the MAF connected is the engine pulling air from the engine side of the air filter? this would seem to be a problem further back, has your air filter been changed?
The MAF has become a fall back "problem" with Fiat garages and it has been such a problem that they now only quote it as an exchange part which allows them to be charging full price for second hand goods.

with MAF connected the engine stutters while idling and has no power till revs are quite high and even then it runs really rough.engine also stutters when i take my foot off gas pedal.disconnect it though and it runs smoothly like it used to.dont want to change the part to find its something else like the EGR valve which gets a lot of mentions on here. :bang:

FWIW it doesn't sound like a typical EGR problem.

When I was having my EGR problems one of the tests suggested to confirm EGR vs MAF was to disconnect the electrical connection from the MAF (takes seconds) and see if that helped. In my case it didn't because it was the EGR but in this case it might be MAF.

Why not blank the EGR for a minute or 2 anyway and see if it helps? You will get a check engine error due to insufficient reflow but once you remove the blanking plate it should go away eventually.

Can't check the price myself at the moment as I'm out of range of decent internet but check the price of a MAF on seekpart24 (in euro) and eurocarparts (check for a discount code). Changing the MAF shouldn't be too tricky if you're reasonably confident with sockets and spanners.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but with regards to air flow meters, does anyone know what the actual sensor part number itself is (not the whole MAF unit)?

The reason I ask this is that for the Alfa 166 it was discovered by someone on Alfa Owner that while FIAT/ALFA want approx £310, the self same Bosch sensor part is fitted to Vauxhall 1.7 & 1.9 diesel MAFs, which are available for £69. So, for the 166 the solution is to buy the said Vx MAF, unscrew the sensor, fit it to your existing casing and save £240.

Many 166 Owners have done this and have had no probs.

Based on this, I would be surprised if the sensor itself is unique to the Croma.

Worth some investigation?

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been covered before, but with regards to air flow meters, does anyone know what the actual sensor part number itself is (not the whole MAF unit)?

The reason I ask this is that for the Alfa 166 it was discovered by someone on Alfa Owner that while FIAT/ALFA want approx £310, the self same Bosch sensor part is fitted to Vauxhall 1.7 & 1.9 diesel MAFs, which are available for £69. So, for the 166 the solution is to buy the said Vx MAF, unscrew the sensor, fit it to your existing casing and save £240.

Many 166 Owners have done this and have had no probs.

Based on this, I would be surprised if the sensor itself is unique to the Croma.

Worth some investigation?
The "old"style MAF had an exposed electrical resistor with a brown body colour and three yellow bands. Now they seem to have a plastic cowl covering it so you cant attempt to replace the resistor. I have no expertise in changing the internals from one type for another but if its now an exchange part as I`ve been quoted then it must be able to be done. Nowt thats been put together cannot be taken apart. (Except SWFCs defence):rolleyes:

On the 8v its an 8mm ring spanner and 4 minutes. You can't change the sensor and the QH lookalike does not work (QM726 for Fiat Idea and various GM) New from Micks Garage about 240 euro and recon from Fiat 220 euro. Robbers!!

thanks for the comments.part number on the broken part was 0 281 002 618
but after a bit of investigation found out the part is now 0 281 002 683.finally ordered one from worldcarparts.co.uk for £126. (y)

Fitted new maf in 5 mins today.car seems back to its old self. Only problem is the check engine warning is still on.do i need to take it to the garage just to get the fault reset ? Rear o/s spring just broke as well !!! It never rains but it pours with a croma........

Should reset automatically after a few start ups.
Check out my posts on spring breakages to get a handle on why we are suffering with spring probs.

It should reset itself after it's warmed up to full temp a few times.

I'd get the diag software and interface cable as well though as it's always useful to be able to find out what the ECU thinks the problem is. With it you'll be able to clear errors, read fault codes and so on.

Quite a saving as well from what you were originally quoted. :)

Shame about the springs though.

Back