General Changing a clutch on a Panda 4x4

Currently reading:
General Changing a clutch on a Panda 4x4

Stuartl said:
I'm sure you'll be able to answer this one Alan. What's the best way to goa about it. My mate Neil needs to do the one on his Sisley.
just drop the thing Stuart... hoisting upwards has got too many things to catch on the sides...

once it's out just undo the two bits and pull apart with a bit of a wobbling technique...

I might be able to get across to give him a hand if needed. I drove past his part of the world just this afternoon on the way back from Pandafans place.

from having just done this (twice).
i would suggest removing the whole engine. it may take a little longer, but you will learn a hell of a lot. give yourself 2 days, and get a friend to d oit with, otherwise it can be very dis heartening if it goes wrong or you need advice.

if you are going to do it on your own, and just drop the box, you have to lower the gearbox side of the engine, then unbolt it and split it and lower it. getting it back up is hard if you are using the jack underneath method with straps, especially on your own. if you have a pulley from above it would be much easier on your own. but fitting it back on is fiddly like alan said, it has to line up correctly and all the washers have to plot in nicely. its 10x easier out of the car, and like i said you can learn lots about the whole thing..

now i've had my engine out, i feel so much more confident with the whole of the car and it seems all a lot less scary, as the engines, reletively, are pretty small!.
just think of it as giant mechano ( i only ever had lego though)

you'll be ok, but even if you have someone there when you drop the box and hoist it back up, it can be very usefull, give yourself an hour for that part.
hope it goes well!

Back