Change the image hosting rules!

Currently reading:
Change the image hosting rules!

Brilliant suggestion this.

This forum is the first I have ever used (and I use a lot) to have a system where only local images can be posted. I have a few complaints about the system.

1. It's not 'easy' to upload images. As a noob, first thing I wanted to do it shove up some pics of my car. On any other forum, I'd go to my image hoster, upload the image, and shove the code in. Done. Here, I had to actually research how to upload images. It is not intuitive at all.
2. Why the hell do you let us embed images that are not locally hosted. - If you hate it so much, put in a script that blocks them.
3. Better still, actually integrate a local image uploader into this reply box. Instead of when you click image it coming up with an "enter url", get it to allow you to upload them.
4. If you insist on making us host them here, why do such low quality? You have recognised the need to remove dead links to images, but you replace them with poor low quality ones. It's tight. You have a lot of donations, spend a little and get some proper bandwidth.
5. If you absolutely insist on making them be local, then do it for the first post in the members motors, not all of them.
6. If you think this system is so much better, sort it out. Since i've been on here (less than a week) I've had three periods of large downtime, and heavy traffic constantly. I can guarantee my image hoster has better uptime - never, ever ever seen it go down, and am sure it will stay that way.
7. On the list of important rules, this just is not one of them. Dead links are a bitch, fine, get a bot to run around deleting threads with dead images. It saves your mods PMing everyone to tell them, then having to replace links in threads. Come on, it's slow and stupid. You're wasting your time. Get a bot to do the job for you.

To sum up, I dislike the image rules. You won't agree. I await your response, and, please, respect my views.

I wasn't even talking to you...

Talking to me then. HI! :wave:

Im not computer illiterate. Ive done web development for 4 years now. also done several IT courses. Im not saying i know EVERYTHING, but know a reasonable amount.

Clearly computer illiterate people on here. Jpeg images do not act as shortcuts to other images, what nonsense you are talking.

I miss worded that. However, if you go onto your personal gallery on the Forum you will find the ORIGINAL image file, this should be equal, if not better than the one on the hosting site.

The one you see on threads isnt the original, its a 'indirect' copy, but you can thumbnail or link it using coding, simply html does the job. simply put the image code inside a url link {URL="http://random image.com"}{img}random image{/img}{/URL} (subsitute {} for [] )

The one hosted externally is a 'Direct' copy, code for code, so to say

Ive used various sites in the past, most of these modify your original, best way to check is compare the file on your PC vs the ones in the "cloud".

Ive several .raw files on my pc. just converted one to .jpg format. Its recorded as 6.08mb (can provide screetshots if required) uploaded to photobucket, its now recorded in jpg format as 3.5mb.... so an obvious loss there...

Apologies if I am here in the 21st century, and my internet can actually handle 230kb images, I really do not see how it is my problem you can't afford a fixed line internet service, so please stop trying to make out that it's my fault. If you don't want to view large images, don't view members motors threads.

Im 21st centruary. I have broadband in my University apartment. Its actually recorded in one of the other threads on this site to run a 80mbps download to a 67mbps upload. pretty damn fast if you believe me. :cool: this is free to me thanks to my tuition fees. (so i guess i pay actually..)

However i have a netbook and smartphone. i don't have access to my broadband 24/7 i might have a car but i use certain things called trains and buses. not all of these have WiFi, so i use a 3G Mobile Modem. which when tested came out as 0.21mbps. SSLLLOOOWWWWW... plus i pay for this

. Calm down, see my points, and consider them. Then post.

I see you points, i didn't use the forum uploader originally, Bludv_x19 has locked my thread several times. but i use it.

Just because my point of view doesn't match yours doesn't mean that i havent considered them.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for your extensive response. I will live with it. Sorry if I came off as rude, just the way I type.

No worries (y)

sorry if you thought my response was brash at all.

I understand your thoughts and problems with the image uploader.

your opinions in your first post have been resolved/took into account, and sorry if you felt like this turned into a keyboard bashing argument.

I have done, but I did it probably 25 hours ago now, surely Australians wake up at some point ? :p

yes they wake up like everyone else and go to work or uni. staff here don't get paid they work for free in their spare time. so the mod you have pmed probably hasn't had time to do it yet.

oh and we do have a hosting rules in the guides section, the how to guide for making guides tells everyone to attach the pictures with the attach button.

I thought it would be obvious I was joking with the "tongue out" smiley. But no.

I know how hard a moderator works, i've moderated three forums now with over 10,000 active members, and I appreciate the amount of work needed. However, what I don't understand is how they have the time to lock the threads, but not unlock them!

I thought it would be obvious I was joking with the "tongue out" smiley. But no.

I know how hard a moderator works, i've moderated three forums now with over 10,000 active members, and I appreciate the amount of work needed. However, what I don't understand is how they have the time to lock the threads, but not unlock them!

because it easier to lock them, to re open them he has to edit your post and insert the new images and everything so if he got online for 10 minutes in a break or something then he probably wont have time to unlock it

because it easier to lock them, to re open them he has to edit your post and insert the new images and everything so if he got online for 10 minutes in a break or something then he probably wont have time to unlock it
Indeed, I tend to lock real quick - but the unlocking takes time, depending on what has to be dealt with.

Surely that is obvious to those in the know ;)

I moderate another forum with 200k+ members, and... :p

Ok, I just wanted the images removed, definitely made that clear earlier. If I want to readd them, I will!

Please can you do it Stu, please...

Unfortunatly Stu cant unlock your thread if im correct.

Bludvl_x19 is the Mod for Members Motors, so only he can unlock threads in that section of the forum.

Not 100% on that, but im sure Bludvl will get there soon. Don't think its anything personal against you, (Not saying that you think it is, but covering the point) Sometimes it takes time, the first thread of mine to be locked took a few days.

Last edited:
Back