General Change headunit

Currently reading:
General Change headunit

Danoid

Hello,

im thinking of changing the single din headunit to an aftermarket single one.

I’ve done this on other cars in the past but they’ve been VW and the iso connectors just connect to existing cables, so no need for another wiring adaptor.

Is this the case for the 500? If it is does I need to swap the yellow and red cables for new headunit memory?

thanks

The plugs are an ISO standard and have been the same for some years now, typically your aftermarket unit will have an adapter cable going from the twin ISO plugs to your stereo, but this differs by stereo brand, can’t comment on swapping the ignition and permanent lives, but this is an easy thing to do as the stereo adapter will have bullet connectors which allow swapping (I didn’t need to do this on my car).

If you have steering wheel controls, this may require a separate interface, and I can’t speak for the 500, but my Panda needed a separate FAKRA adapter and amplifier for the antenna.

If you have steering wheel controls, this is where it gets a bit trickier, you need to cut wires and possibly wire in additional connections, but all else is plug and play.

Your best bet is to buy a fitting kit from a company like dynamic sounds, it’ll normally come with everything needed to replace, and they’re competitively priced for their headunits too, I’ve used them a few times and been really pleased.

The plugs are an ISO standard and have been the same for some years now, typically your aftermarket unit will have an adapter cable going from the twin ISO plugs to your stereo, but this differs by stereo brand, can’t comment on swapping the ignition and permanent lives, but this is an easy thing to do as the stereo adapter will have bullet connectors which allow swapping (I didn’t need to do this on my car).

If you have steering wheel controls, this may require a separate interface, and I can’t speak for the 500, but my Panda needed a separate FAKRA adapter and amplifier for the antenna.

If you have steering wheel controls, this is where it gets a bit trickier, you need to cut wires and possibly wire in additional connections, but all else is plug and play.

Your best bet is to buy a fitting kit from a company like dynamic sounds, it’ll normally come with everything needed to replace, and they’re competitively priced for their headunits too, I’ve used them a few times and been really pleased.
thanks for that :) it’s been a while since I last changed a headunit, thankfully there’s no steering controls so will be easy

I thought on these the switched live was the issue, being handled by the canbus system?

I’ve never had to run a new permanent live on any car, but then I’ve not done one on a 500.

If you need the power take off for amplified antenna, run it to the ‘remote’ wire on the head units harness, typically a blue wire.

I thought on these the switched live was the issue, being handled by the canbus system?

I’ve never had to run a new permanent live on any car, but then I’ve not done one on a 500.

If you need the power take off for amplified antenna, run it to the ‘remote’ wire on the head units harness, typically a blue wire.
Actually i can't remember to be honest so if it's switched pick it up from the lighter socket ? That would fit as you can turn the radio on without the key in?

Back