General Change handbrake lever on Punto Active Sport 1.2 54 Reg

Currently reading:
General Change handbrake lever on Punto Active Sport 1.2 54 Reg

sparky05084

Hey all.

This is my first post so I take pleasure in introducing myself. Basically are there any guides on here that explain how to change a handbrake lever on a fiat punto active sport 54 plate?

The reason I am asking is that I've trawled through google and wiki answers and I cannot find a comprohensive guide or anything for that matter.

Bought a spare handbrake from a local scrap merchant today and want to change it myself (dealership and even garage want a fortune for labour). I am pretty confident about it and want to learn but worried if I get it wrong or make a mistake I could damage cable etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all

Sparky05084

PS. Hoping to start it tomorrow so a reply tonight would be a bonus :)

Cheers for the fast reply. I know that is a pretty much common sense answer but would it be too much trouble on say posting a walkthrough?

Never ever done anything like this before so Im very green. Just the basics.

Where do I start? Do I need to lift the panel off/tray where the lever sits? How do I go about attaching the cable to the new lever?

not 100% shure how you would do it as we both have diffident Punto`s ther should be covers that just pop off with a flat screw driver that will be hiding the screws/nuts holding the pannel down once all removed it should just lift off as for attatching the cable you will just have to compair the 2 leavers to see wer it attaches and if they remove from the lever thats all i can realy offer atm hope its helps :)

Ok. Thanks for the help. I will have a go tomorrow. Im pretty sure it will be straight forward and yes the idea of taking the step by step photos is a good idea. I will do that on my phone.

Ive had the car over 6 years now and Im starting to get teething trouble. I feel the gears are next but I hope Im wrong.

Hard to select gears (assuming thats what the OP means) more likely the clutch failing - easy to fix / cheap if done in a garage.

The handbrake lever may need the carpet taking up to get at the bolts that will mean taking out one front seat. But, is the problem in the actual lever? The cables stretch and the little levers inside the brakes get sprained. Unless the old lever has snapped off, check those first.

Hey guys.

Sorry I didn't really explain what the fault was. Didn't really think to mention it but it is a bit obvious considering Im changing it and Im on here for advice :)

OK. The problem started a week ago. When I pull the lever up it simply drops down (about 3 0r 4 teeth). It also drops down with some force and makes quite a loud clunk. Also, correct me if Im wrong but when I lift the lever I can do so without actually pressing the button firstly. Is this right?

At first I thought it was the travel and a simple cable adjustment/tightening was in order.

I took it to my local garage for a 2nd opinion. The mechanic told me that a new lever was required. Simple as that. Asked him if it was the cable loose but he said no. I took him at his word. OH, and another point of note. I was given a price to change the handbrake icl parts, labour and VAT. They wanted £145. Stuff that!!

I did a test (garage is on an industrial estate and the entrance is on a hill ironically), parked at top of hill, switch engine of, gear in neutral and apply handbrake.

What happens? Car rolls back and only way to keep car stationary is to put car in gear and obviously switch engine off.

So, today I got a handbrake lever from scrap yard and am hoping to do it myself.

I read the reply about having to possibly lift the carpet up and the front seat(s) to possibly get to the bolts *gulp*

Im not sure I want to do that but I will only know when I have a look.

Its all the seat removal and carpet stuff that costs the time (& money). But yes its a duff lever. Non of it is high tech or difficult - just have to bite the bullet & get on with it.

Get yourself a haynes manual!
This is what it says in haynes manual about removing Handbrake leaver:
1: Remove the centre console.
2: At the base of the handbrake leaver, fully slacken the handbrake ajuster bolt, to remove all the tension from the cable draw bar, then disconnect both handbrake cables from the draw bar.
3: Disconnect the wiring connector from the handbrake 'on' warning light switch located at the front of the handbrake lever base.
4: Undo the bolts securing the handbrake lever to the floor and remove the lever from the car.
Doesn't say anything about removing seats and carpets.
Refitting is reversal of removal and remember to adjust handbrake when finished(y)

Last edited:
Hey all.

Thanks for posting replies and advice. Really appreciate it. Thought I'd give you all a heads up on my progress.

Ok here goes. I actually forgot to mention (again lol) that the handbrake lever wasn't the only job required. I had to remove the centre console (what a t**t) to gain access to the fan speed setting dial as the internal plastic mounting bit had snapped clean off. Thus, I had no heating facility!

And, what’s worse; I stayed at my brothers in Mold last weekend and driving back to Cheshire down the M56 with a frozen windscreen and no heating is not good I tell thee!

I managed to fit a new fan speed switch with no trouble at all and I must admit, having never touched a car like this before I'm really pleased with the result.

As for the handbrake lever. I've changed it and it went really well. Too well infact but I didn't get time due to nights drawing in quickly to adjust the cable as when I drop the lever, it pops back up and it is annoying me as the handbrake warning light is popping up on my dash.

I think it is safe but I believe I need to remove the drivers back wheel to get to drum brakes to adjust spring? Am I right or am I talking shizzle?

Thanks again guys.

Sparky05084

Back