Technical Centre Wheel Caps

Currently reading:
Technical Centre Wheel Caps

chas379

72 Year Old teenager
Just fitted new centre wheel caps to the alloys on the TA and found it very difficult, especially when not trying to mark the alloys. Is a flat blade screwdriver and a piece of cloth to cushion the only way?

Would be reluctant to take it into a tyre place when replacements needed when you see the way some of them operate

Is a flat blade screwdriver and a piece of cloth to cushion the only way?

No, there's a much better method. Get an old credit card & carefully work it behind the trim, starting at the cutout. When it's in place, curl your fingers round the card, and with your thumb on the cap, pull both card & cap towards you & it'll come off cleanly :). Easier to demonstrate than to describe. The first time you do it, I'd recommend putting a mat on the ground to prevent scratching the trim, just in case it slips out of your hand.

Would be reluctant to take it into a tyre place when replacements needed when you see the way some of them operate

If you're worried about your wheel caps, just wait 'till you see what they'll do to your sills :eek::bang:.

Now that my wife has halted my spending on accessories I now know what to do with the credit card. :D

Lol :).

Actually the very best cards for this purpose are the ones without any embossing that are often used for loyalty cards & promotions.

I haven't yet had cause to try using one on the car, but the new Lego brick separator has interesting possibilities:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/630_Brick_Separator,_Orange

Last edited:
I just use the flatheaded screwdriver in the tool kit and use a piece of paper against the wheel. Does the job :)

tool kit screwdriver and a microfibre meant wheels were unscathed today

Just fitted new centre wheel caps to the alloys on the TA and found it very difficult, especially when not trying to mark the alloys. Is a flat blade screwdriver and a piece of cloth to cushion the only way?

Just remove the hub caps prior to taking the car to the tyre place and as mentioned previously make them aware of the problems caused (sill crushing) before they jack up the vehicle, albeit on the ground or on a ramp.

Lol :).

Actually the very best cards for this purpose are the ones without any embossing that are often used for loyalty cards & promotions.

I haven't yet had cause to try using one on the car, but the new Lego brick separator has interesting possibilities:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/630_Brick_Separator,_Orange

That's a good idea. Never broke the 500 cap (I still have the red ringed one's in the garage but haven't had the heart to sell them). Who would have ever though that LEGO would get so big. That would have been one company to have had shares in (if you were able to buy them).

Back to the centre caps, I slipped a length of rubber sleeve over the shaft of the supplied screwdriver and that prevents the alloy being damaged. The cap seems to be on quite securely - I'm surprised you can get enough leverage with a credit card. Must try it next time.

The cap seems to be on quite securely - I'm surprised you can get enough leverage with a credit card. Must try it next time.

It's not so much using the card as a lever, as using your fingers round the back of the card in conjunction with your thumb on the face of the cap to pull it cleanly away. Like so many things, easy once you've got the knack :).

I have been a member of various car forums in the past, but must admit, FF is the most useful and friendliest forum I have been involved in. There are so many tips out there re the care of the 500, quite a few I have taken on board re topics I would not have thought/been aware of.

Keep up the good work

I have been a member of various car forums in the past, but must admit, FF is the most useful and friendliest forum I have been involved in. There are so many tips out there re the care of the 500, quite a few I have taken on board re topics I would not have thought/been aware of.

Keep up the good work

With posts like the ones that JR has done...
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/283597-500-jacking-lifting-axle-stand-positioning.html?p=2872165

these are of high quality and really stand out (y)

Not too sure if they should be a sticky or if they should be a place for 'hot' postings like this but sometimes the search doesn't always give the results that you're looking for. It beats a Haynes manual (if you can get one).:)

For info. should any body want one the Haynes manual for the 500 (and the Panda) is due out next month -

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...10001&storeId=10001&productId=54205&langId=-1

Note it does not cover 0.9 litre 'Twinair' or 1.4 litre petrol engines though.

Discussion on the Haynes a few weeks ago (Click here). I was looking for a manual for a Marea a few months back and there was none available although the Bravo one might have been OK.
Get the impression that the manuals are quite generic and are not as specific on the model as you would be lead to believe.
Not to sure why there's a delay of around 4 years before a manual is produced (if one is done) - it may be to do with allowing the manufacturer to have exclusivity on servicing their 'own' vehicles.

Get the impression that the manuals are quite generic and are not as specific on the model as you would be lead to believe.

They normally have 'generic' sections in them, things like passing the MOT and the like, but they do get quite model specific on things like servicing and dismantling stuff.

They aren't always 100% accurate though I find.

Back