Career Change

Currently reading:
Career Change

Cool, good luck Raul!

Chris, the hardware will be basic, VDIs are getting more and more popular, for an SMB that has an IT manager and 1 or 2 techs, all management will see is:

Well, we don't have 15 servers, we've only got 3 now so why do we need 2 IT?

etc.

Started my OOP studying today...nightmare!

Oh my god! If only we had a 1 to 5, 2 to 15, or even 1 to 15 ratio of techs to servers.

I think we have around 1200 servers and about 16 techs :eek:

Nah, Only a few hundred virtuals. Still, virtuals need patching and stuff. Plus we have about 6000 users in a citrix farm. I've got the project to upgrade all our non-centralized servers. 40 countries. 100 sites. About 300 servers. 1 year. $800k. My head hurts.

I'd like a job in a Data Centre :slayer: :D

I work in a DC - it is one of the coolest jobs I've had, so much power in your hands, 4.5million domains all at my fingertips :devil:

I work 247 shift patterns = 12 hour days 4 on 4 off, so once you get over that part job = awesome

I work in a DC - it is one of the coolest jobs I've had, so much power in your hands, 4.5million domains all at my fingertips :devil:

I work 247 shift patterns = 12 hour days 4 on 4 off, so once you get over that part job = awesome

Man this really seems like something you could envy :)

Okay so this is going pretty cool so far. C# is coming on nicely, as is SQL. I've been doing my object orientated design too. Want to write an app for my phone so can apply my c#
Skills when I'm doing the Java.

Doing it at home is the hardest. My wife class doesn't have a bequiet method.

God damnit!

Every time I feel like I've moved a step forward with C#, I go two steps back. So frustrating! The book I have is good, but I can't help feel sometimes that I'm just copying code, and then spending a while figuring out how it works, but I don't feel I could replicate that if someone came to me and asked me to do it.

I'm only on chapter 3 right enough lol, but argh!

SQL is coming along nicely though. :)

God damnit!

Every time I feel like I've moved a step forward with C#, I go two steps back. So frustrating! The book I have is good, but I can't help feel sometimes that I'm just copying code, and then spending a while figuring out how it works, but I don't feel I could replicate that if someone came to me and asked me to do it.

I'm only on chapter 3 right enough lol, but argh!

SQL is coming along nicely though. :)

welcome to the world of programming :devil:

what book are you using?

welcome to the world of programming :devil:

what book are you using?

Ah, is this normal? I just feel so frustrated! I really enjoy the Object Orientated Design principals though.

There are two types of C# programmers: those who know OOD, and those who don't. :D

I'm using Head First C# in ebook format. Not ideal reading off the screen but hey ho. It was recommended to me by someone doing a degree in computer science.

Ah, is this normal? I just feel so frustrated! I really enjoy the Object Orientated Design principals though.

There are two types of C# programmers: those who know OOD, and those who don't. :D

I'm using Head First C# in ebook format. Not ideal reading off the screen but hey ho. It was recommended to me by someone doing a degree in computer science.

very normal, you just have to keep at it and keep practicing, its all practice practice practice.

what kind of stuff are you doing to practice?

I don't think I have the confidence to! I've made stupid little ones like changing a label's colour by pressing a button (lol) completely on my own but anything more complicated and I get stumped. It's mainly figuring out where to put things.

I don't think I have the confidence to! I've made stupid little ones like changing a label's colour by pressing a button (lol) completely on my own but anything more complicated and I get stumped. It's mainly figuring out where to put things.

still try it and if you get stumped cary on with the book and come back to it later.

Edit: its important to develop the creative thinking and problem solving skills, best way i find is to throw yourself in the deep end

If you want i can try and point you in the right direction if you get stuck

Last edited:
Thanks Jip0, will bear that in mind! What are you (job wise) anyway? I don't think you've disclosed that info yet! :)

I've fallen behind with my C#/OOD studying, in favour of SQL and brushing up on my HTML/XHTML/CSS before I can start on my HTML5 and Jscript.

My ultimate aim is to learn asp.net 4 after all of the above and combine them all and create some kick ass web apps as business solutions but be able to do the backend as well.

I sometimes feel like I'm overloading, especially now because work has thrown a potential Linux VDI environment in to the mix. Sometimes I want to scream! Haha.

Back