cant change screen res

Currently reading:
cant change screen res

mrs dave brought home a monitor.
its a digimate 17" flat one model number 1715
when its plugged in computer wont let you change screen resolution, the slider thing just dont move.
its been back to a factory and they say nothing wrong with it.
but ive just tried it on my pc and same thing happens:confused:
its stuck at 800x600
and its come back fron factory with half its screws missing

get a dell 19" go for the E198WFP can highly reccommend depending on comp tops out at 1440 * 900 which is ok. about £150, or go for 20" dell one cannot member code though about £169 down from well over 200.

Guessing its plugged in via VGA?

Is it installed as a plug and play monitor? If all these are true, then get a console utility to try and force a resolution.

If that no worky then your gfx drivers are duffed or the monitor is shagged. (y)

Did the your old monitor allow you to display a res larger than 800x600?. If so I'd say windows is picking up incorrect info through the monitor Plug and Play function (DDC). Once way to FORCE a higher res is to try this:-

resfix1.jpg

This tells windows to ignore the DDC data recieved from the monitor and allows you to set all Modes and refresh rates allowed by your graphics card. This will let you move the slider beyond 800x600. If it still doesnt go further it is a problem with your Graphics driver.

Last edited:
Dave, have you done what Liam said to do? I reckon it could be GFX card driver related too.

Last edited:
yeah.

if i hot swap it will it brake any thing?

Nope won't break anything. Yeah set 1024x768 on your old monitor and then swap the cable for your new monitor and see what happens (y).

And how can it be graphics card driver related if it works at a higher res on the old monitor? :confused:. If it is any driver it will be the Monitor driver.

You could try changing the monitor driver from Plug&Play Monitor (if that is what it is) to the generic 1024x768 LCD Driver.

And how can it be graphics card driver related if it works at a higher res on the old monitor? :confused:. If it is any driver it will be the Monitor driver.

'Cause I've had something very similar to this happen. Might not solve it, then again, it might do. Has to be worth the 10 minutes of time it takes to do to try it.

Last edited:
Back