Technical Carb

Currently reading:
Technical Carb

SHERMAN41

I’m new to fiat forum, only had this ‘78 124 about 6 months, always loved the lines of early 124’s. This s an Arizona (Tucson) found car.
I squirted some paint and put some wheels and tires on her. But as with a lot of these I bet, previous owner/owner’s created an electrical nightmare.
Q) just put a new webber carb on her, a 32/36 DFAV, I removed the air pump and lines, prevoiousowner installed a Fireball3000
electrical ign. Should I put an Vac advance on disay? If needed where would hook Carb end to?
thanks.

I’m new to fiat forum, only had this ‘78 124 about 6 months, always loved the lines of early 124’s. This s an Arizona (Tucson) found car.
I squirted some paint and put some wheels and tires on her. But as with a lot of these I bet, previous owner/owner’s created an electrical nightmare.
Q) just put a new webber carb on her, a 32/36 DFAV, I removed the air pump and lines, prevoiousowner installed a Fireball3000
electrical ign. Should I put an Vac advance on disay? If needed where would hook Carb end to?
thanks.
Not familiar with Fireball 3000 ign, but as I understand it fits in place of the points inside the existing distributor and so uses the original mechanical advance setup along with the original vacuum advance.
So unlike more advanced electronic setups that control advance using chips etc.
That being the case it is probably best to make sure the mechanical advance with it's bob weights etc is working correctly and ideally the vacuum setup also.
Back in the old days a standard Austin Mini had a Lucas distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance, but the Cooper S version just had the mechanical, however the advance curve was set up to suit the more sporty engine.
In college we were told the vacuum side was used to improve fuel economy under certain load settings, so if blanked off wouldn't unduly effect performance.
Though please remember this was 52 years ago and modern electronic systems are far superior although when the fail, harder to fix at the side of the road, unlike points and condensers;)
Regarding where to take vacuum from as I recall it was close to the throttle spindle area where opening and closing would most effect vacuum.
Sometimes the fibre heat insulator block between carb and manifold had a vacuum fitting. Can you consult your carb supplier?

Back