Technical Car starting when key is on acc on position

Currently reading:
Technical Car starting when key is on acc on position

NewGPOwner

I have a grande punto 1.2 8v from 2006. Yesterday I tried to start the car and when I turned the key in the Acc On position (when the fuel pump starts) car started to crank but can't be turned on. I checked the fusebox amd saw a lil bit of water ingress, took it off and dried it. Put it all back, and on first start it started normal but with check engine light on. Motor worked normally for a bout five minutes and started to make a weird noise like a loud buzzing. Turned it off. Started it again and the same scenario took place On the third start it started to crank on acc on position. I dont know what to do now

I have a grande punto 1.2 8v from 2006. Yesterday I tried to start the car and when I turned the key in the Acc On position (when the fuel pump starts) car started to crank but can't be turned on. I checked the fusebox amd saw a lil bit of water ingress, took it off and dried it. Put it all back, and on first start it started normal but with check engine light on. Motor worked normally for a bout five minutes and started to make a weird noise like a loud buzzing. Turned it off. Started it again and the same scenario took place On the third start it started to crank on acc on position. I dont know what to do now
All you can do cheaply is dry everything out, check all the connections and spray with good quality electrical switch cleaner, including the ignition switch it'self. If it was all working OK before it got wet then fingers crossed it fixes it. As anything else is likely to to take time and money at auto electricians. :(

The fusebox needs to be properly dried out.
The starter relay may be dead now, so might need replacing.
Check the ignition switch. Wear here may make the switch pass current to the starter circuit early. If the keys have a lot of others hanging on them, the weight can wear the switch.

2006 is prime age for the scuttle drain issue, water collects at the bottom of the windscreen and then gets into the cabin

you should open the bonnet and look as best you can under the black plastic trims at the bottom of the windscreen, if that’s full of water, then that’s your problem, there are black rubber hoses that are supposed to drain the water, but they clog up with leaves and other dirt, on the older models you may also want to look for the amended hose that directs the draining water away from the alternator.

Back